Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Grey Zone" page

tabby is offline Junior Member

"Grey Zone"

Primal Fuel
    A friend of mine just told me about Exercising in "the middle" .... Between low level exercise and intense effort...called the Grey Zone. It is where many athletes are trapped. It blunts performance.

When you go....you should go hard....like running from a Saber Tooth Tiger. Seems to square up perfectly with what Mark is teaching.
    -Steve

bulldwgs is offline Junior Member

I don't agree.

I would say go all out all the time is what Tony Horton P90x teaches and gets amazing results for you. I can't count how many years he has been seeing results doing this from Power 90 to P90x2. From what I read from Mark the only time I really get Mark talking about going all out is on Sprint day. Mark's program seem to be more long term easy going with only really calling on all out about once a week or so. If I would say anything Mark seems to be a grey zone type of guy. Just my take from reading his two books. I

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Actually, Mark advocates being one side of that line or the other--sprinting and lifting at the very intense end, and then walking or other slow movement at low intensities. What Mark calls for people to avoid chronic cardio, that's pretty much in line with the idea of avoiding the "grey zone". If you didn't get that from his books, you might want to re-read them.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

The good news is either way active is better than sedentary. I interpret Mark's intense anaerobic as a way to "clean out" the pipes and build a different type of fitness on top of a solid aerobic foundation (low intensity).
    -Steve

bulldwgs is offline Junior Member
    Mr. Canada, I read it and fully understand it, Thank you. There is no need to re-read the book. I am sitting here with his 21 Day Total Body and there is nothing in here about ongoing intense heavy lifting he advises against it. Tabby, I would go with CrossFit or P90X for your workout advice and stick with PB for diet. Just a few years ago Mark was on the P90x videos pushing a recovery drink he help create. I think Mark understands the diet end great, leave the workout stuff to Beachbody and Crossfit they seem to have amazing results. With Mark's take on diet they would just be that much better.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldwgs View Post
    Mr. Canada, I read it and fully understand it, Thank you. There is no need to re-read the book. I am sitting here with his 21 Day Total Body and there is nothing in here about ongoing intense heavy lifting he advises against it. Tabby, I would go with CrossFit or P90X for your workout advice and stick with PB for diet. Just a few years ago Mark was on the P90x videos pushing a recovery drink he help create. I think Mark understands the diet end great, leave the workout stuff to Beachbody and Crossfit they seem to have amazing results. With Mark's take on diet they would just be that much better.
    I am not a Mr., and my name is not Canada, but thanks for being rude.

You should really read the PB Fitness book and some of Mark's posts on chronic cardio and you would realize that he's quite opposed to "grey zone" type exercise. His fitness model is based on three elements of sprinting, moving slowly (mainly walking) and lifting heavy things. None of those are mid-range activities. Walking is very low intensity, while lifting is inherently high intensity, as is sprinting.

And I love Crossfit--I do it and think it's awesome. But it's not for everyone, nor is P90x. You might love them, but there are lots of different activities people can do and still not do chronic cardio.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldwgs View Post
    stop advertising for Tony Horton.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Dear Owly,

Thanks for your post. I've been doing fitness Bootcamp for 3 months. In a nutshell, it is a 1 hour workout beginning with dynamic stretching, followed by 40 minutes of intense group interval training, and ending with yoga stretching. I believe the interval training...calisthenics, TRX, Farmer's walks, Prowlers, planks, sprints, pull ups, etc. are similar to CrossFit. The most notable gain has been in how quickly I recover after intense skiing ( my hobby). The downside has been a level of tiredness I can't seem to shake despite PB diet and tweaks including sleep, vitamins, protein shakes, etc. I feel like I have chronic cardio symptoms with only 3 bootcamps per week. Some puzzle piece is missing.
    -Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tabby View Post
    Dear Owly,

Thanks for your post. I've been doing fitness Bootcamp for 3 months. In a nutshell, it is a 1 hour workout beginning with dynamic stretching, followed by 40 minutes of intense group interval training, and ending with yoga stretching. I believe the interval training...calisthenics, TRX, Farmer's walks, Prowlers, planks, sprints, pull ups, etc. are similar to CrossFit. The most notable gain has been in how quickly I recover after intense skiing ( my hobby). The downside has been a level of tiredness I can't seem to shake despite PB diet and tweaks including sleep, vitamins, protein shakes, etc. I feel like I have chronic cardio symptoms with only 3 bootcamps per week. Some puzzle piece is missing.
    How are you eating? Are you getting enough carbs? What's your fat intake like? You need enough protein for your body to repair itself, but fat is also an important part of the equation (even CW sports nutrition research points to a need for at least 25% fat in the diet for athletic recovery). However, you're also going to need more carbs than a more sedentary person. I don't worry about eating bananas or sweet potatoes, and that makes a big difference especially on a workout day.

Are you sleeping at least 8-9 hours per night? Sleep can really impact your performance, or at least that's what I find with Crossfit.

What do you do on your non-bootcamp days? Are you taking at least one real rest day per week? If you're skiing quite a bit at high intensity, you may not be giving yourself enough recovery time.

Also, if it's really too much, you could try stepping it back to two days a week for a bit or maybe take a week off to let your body recover. If you've been training hard for a bit, it doesn't hurt to take that week, and as long as you don't let it drag out into longer, you may find your performance is a lot better after the break.

Vitamin tablets are mostly a way to get really expensive pee. I'd try to get them from whole food sources whenever possible.

Owly's Journal

Dear Owly,

I'm following Mark's stuff 99% of the time. Even using his primal fuel, vitamins and fish oil. The most dramatic change in lifestyle has been banning cereal, bread and sugar, AND, the fitness Bootcamp. Many good results physically, I just feel mentally tired....I miss my comfort food, and my sugar highs during the course of work! As Huey Lewis says "I wanna new drug". I'm waiting for some progress on the energy/mental clarity frontier!
    -Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast