Thread: Warming up - don't need it any more page

billp is offline Senior Member

Warming up - don't need it any more

Shop Now
    I used to find I needed to warm up for any real physical exertion. When I was out on my bike, I'd find I started off not wanting to go very fast at all, and not really getting up to my full speed until I had done two miles.

Same hiking. It could take maybe even an hour or two of uphill walking to get to my full strength, and I felt distinctly sedate at the very start. Once I found my form I could hike the whole day, up and down steep hills, and not need anything to eat until evening.

Since switching to high animal fat/low carb more palaeolithic diet last year I don't think I need to warm up any more. I think I just set off now and am up to speed immediately.

I was struck by this the other day, when instead of eating lunch or nothing, I ate two and a half jam doughnuts at work. White flour, sugar, vegetable fats and fruit flavoured syrup inside. Probably full of HFCS too. Afterwards I really needed to go do something energetic, and not sit about in the office. So I thought I would rbike the first leg of the journey back after work.

So sluggish. I didn't warm up for nearly three miles. And I missed my connecting train, so I must have been going a lot slower than normal. It's only six and a half miles. That has to be my worst time ever on that route, worse than when it was dark, raining and my lights didn't work.

I wonder if all along my warmed-up state wasn't fat burning, and the initial sluggish state was sugar burning. The only times I lost weight were on strenuous walking holidays. Whenever I stopped riding my bike my weight shot up, but while I was riding it most days my weight was basically stable, if high. So I think I was getting a bit of ketosis from the bike, and a good amount from the hill walking.

Since changing my diet I am pretty sure I don't *need* as much exercise any more, where I just had to get out of the house and up the hill or on my bike, although I still do things like that for fun. All rather eye-opening, really.

Nikola is offline Junior Member
    Did you ever see a lion or a cheetah warm up prior to hunting?

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikola View Post
    Did you ever see a lion or a cheetah warm up prior to hunting?
    Yes. Every time. They stretch regularly too.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepglades View Post
    Yes. Every time. They stretch regularly too.
    I don't think I was really warming up before. I think I still warm up a bit, but its much quicker and I start off much more energetic. I think I was mixing up warming up with something different, burning off excess sugar until fat burning started. Now I am always burning fat so there is no initial hump to get over. Probably.