Thread: People on diets incapable of cooking for themselves? page

DebFM is offline Senior Member

There was an article in the Boston Globe today that compared the prices of various weight loss plans. Actually cooking the food yourself was not mentioned. I found it frustrating that the writer doesn't even mention preparing actual food as an option. She gives tips on buying pre-made dinners at the grocery store, though. Sad, so sad!

The article: http://www.boston.com/business/techn...iet_meal_plan/

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

That's how I developed my love and passion for cooking, by learning to make healthy foods that taste yummy!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Amazing.

You mean people can prepare hot food at home? Whodda thunk?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I absolutely believe that the lack of cooking skills is a huge disadvantage when trying to eat healthfully. If you don't know how to fix your own food, then you're pretty much at the mercy of prepackaged junk and fast food, both in quality and price.

Most people who say "I can't stand vegetables" just haven't had them prepared properly!

sidandlucy Guest

i'm not a great cook, but i'm learning, lol. it's kind of a pain in the morning if i don't wake up early enough though. i'm thankful for everyone here and the great recipes they have for me to try! i just made some carrot walnut bread today and i'm waiting for it to cool so i can have some!

DebFM is offline Senior Member

I know a lot of people who can't cook & it's definitely a detriment (sp?) to their diet/health. Just such a pity!

NicoB is offline Senior Member

Cooking?!?

That is when you put the hot pocket in the microwave, and turn it on right?

Once you learn that you create your own reality and that you are fully responsible for your life, you can begin to see the world as it is and then you realize the limitless possibilities.

allie Guest

Yes! I've noticed that.

(dragonmama) "If you don't know how to fix your own food, then you're pretty much at the mercy of prepackaged junk and fast food, both in quality and price."

Exactly.

Eating healthy (truly, healthy) forces you to learn how to cook with real food, be organised and - to an extent - budget.

All great life skills, alongside the investment in your health you get from eating right. I'm 19, will be 20 this year, and I'm glad I'm learning/practicing this now.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Microwaving food is now officially considered cooking! I can't recall the authority, but a story in the NYT last summer (??) about how for statistical purposes certain activities are included (or not) in the definition of "cooking." Heating a frozen pizza is cooking, now.

The definition is pretty broad. Not included are things like opening a bag of nuts......

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Maybe next year it will be, OTB ;-)