Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I GOT FAT SOMEHOW...this got to be really long, sorry!! page

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Question HELP! I GOT FAT SOMEHOW...this got to be really long, sorry!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Friends,
    So, I've been doing this Paleo/Primal thing for a few years now, and as some of you know, the many ways my body has healed have been incredible. I never had a weight problem, though, I would fluctuate 10 lbs the most, and be able to rectify that situation in pretty short order. I am 5' 1 1/2" so that much extra did make me look a little chubby..lol.
    I normally gain a few lbs in the winter that pop right off in the spring with no worries.
    My issue? I am up again, like at my last 10 yr high! I quit smoking in September (for good this time!) and packed on at least 15 lbs...I tossed my scale. I was definitely treating myself, and I was OK with that. Now, I want it gone, and I cant seem to make it go!! It's all in my middle, and chest, and it is gross.
    I gave up dairy and nuts in January, no change. I went lower carb (less than 50), nothing. Went HIGHER carb, nothing. Dropped to 1200 cals a day, 60 % fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs...nothing except I wasn't so bloated.
    I live on meat and veg, a smidge of fruit, a glass of wine each night, (ok maybe a beer or 2 here and there)..I will drop all alcohol next for a full 30 days to see if it makes any difference...and I ran out of coconut oil and never replenished, so I will stock back up on that...use butter, ghee, animal fat or olive oil.
    I could eat all day long, even when I am physically full, this is new for me, I certainly CAN "IF" and do one meal a day, but why the appetite?
    I am on the Nuva Ring for Birth Control now, (about a year) if anyone has had weight gain or appetite issues, please let me know! My sex drive is in the toilet, too. (but Hubs and I have had our problems)
    I don't work out at a gym, I have 2 little kids (we love to play!), a physical job where I walk miles a day, I am rehabbing some rental property we own (so I can move back in and save some $$) and I am back in school at age 38. EEEKK.. Come spring, I LIVE outside when I can...I feel happy and positive about my life in general!
    I am looking for some brainstorming help!
    I eat more starchy/local (New England) veggies in the fall/winter, and heartier, fattier meat dishes...nothing new there..in the summer I eat lots of seafood and greens, less fat, no eggs, no breakfast either, usually, etc...maybe I should give my summer diet (not local) a go for a bit?
    Do I need to bang out some cardio or heavy weights? I feel strong and have great stamina, I just cant button my pants! My bloodwork is great, I had my first physical this year in many years and have no health issues.

My mother has reminded me that I am not as young as I used to be...hrmph!

HELP!
    Last edited by Juliemama; 01-20-2012 at 10:03 PM.

Raine is offline Member
    It doesn't matter about your age!, so don't listen to your mum. I think it's the birth control pills and the fact you have given up smoking. I know when I was on depo provera I put on 11kg in 6 months without any diet changes. Can you go off it and see if the weight moves?.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You may be suffering from chronic stress, whereby you are producing cortisol in preference to other hormones. If so, you'll need to address the stress. Sorry if that thought is stressful
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Spubba is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you are doing everything right, and I think you get plenty of exercise/movement (Lucky you to have a physical job; I'm stuck behind a desk 14 hours a day - makes weight loss HARD!)

I'd take a hard look at that hormonal BC (NuvaRing). I think in some susceptible individuals, hormonal BC can cause weight gain and bloating.

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    How long did you eat 1200 calories a day for? Were you weighing your food?

Thanks for the help, guys! It very well may be the birth control...I have been on this NuvaRing for 1.5 years...I had the Mirena IUD for 6 years before that...then 2 yrs off for back to back babies and breastfeeding, prior to that I was on the Pill for 12 yrs. Now may be a good time to experiment..although I just recently had a Nuva Ring mess up and a pregnancy scare. Not sure I want to live on the edge as far as natural birth control goes.
    As for stress and cortisol, I feel pretty much in the driver's seat in my normally stressful life...
    Keep the suggestions coming, I am out of strategies!

Jimhenson, I did 1200 calories for about a month, I think. I didn't weigh my food. I was a cook/chef for a long lime and I am pretty good at eyeballing food measurements. It is something to keep in mind, though. I got aggravated with this as I was smaller eating 2500 cals a day...I am not the most patient, I want results NOW....lol. And I love the fact that I can usually eat as much as I want of REAL food when Paleo/Primal. How long do you think I should stick with 1200 cals? I can eat 1200 cals for breakfast...lol

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe DON'T worry about calories then! If you were eating much more at a smaller weight, you might actually be doing yourself a disservice by stressing over eating less (key words: stressing over!).

Maybe just don't worry about what you "should" eat, or what is in season, or what you usually do-- and just eat whatever good, primal REAL foods your body wants at the moment.

I'm not saying it's, like, magical, but it is worth a shot! If nothing else, it'll lower your stress level.

Buoy1 is offline Senior Member
    Oh wait, but it one more thing: that strategy will likely work a whole lot better if you cut out the alcohol. I know that isn't welcome advice, but my personal experience is that drinking means a few extra pounds, pretty much no matter what.

Thanks, Bouy1, I just feel like I could eat all day long, which is NOT normal for me. I cant really trust my "appetite" at the moment! I do not drink any more or less than usual. The weight being centered in my middle concerns me a bit, though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast