Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss vs. maintenance page

ar0e is offline Member

Weight loss vs. maintenance

Primal Fuel
    I was reading through old posts regarding daily calories and think I might finally 'get it'

If I'm losing weight eating 1200-1400 calories a day that means my body is burning fat for fuel, right?

I know we aren't really supposed to be counting calories but I just use it as a general guideline.

I see posts on here about people eating like 6 eggs, 8oz of steak, a jar of coconut oil, and a green smoothie just for breakfast and thought I was on the wrong track because I can't eat that much.

My basic understanding is this: eat 1500-ish calories to lose weight and gradually increase calories as I increase muscle mass and near goal weight. Is this right?

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Some of the breakfasts I read about on here are astounding. And the amounts of protein that I would need to consume to get the lauded 1g per pound of lean body mass equally so. It. does. not. fit. Lol.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    No, it is wrong...at calories that low your body will be trying to eat muscle and conserve fat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

kkarrolle is offline Senior Member
    Have you read Primal Blueprint, there is some excellent info in there regarding weight loss and maintenance for those who choose to count calories.

From the book and as a guide, calorie intake should be based on BMR and activity level (less xx amount for weight loss)...work out protein req'd based on lean body mass, est carb need for weight loss - 50gms to 100gms or maintenance - 100gms to 150gms, more if exercising a lot and the remainder of calories should come from fat.

Losing weight does not necessarily equate to losing fat, but you will know if it is fat by the way you look.

ar0e is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kkarrolle View Post
    BMR and activity level (less xx amount for weight loss)
    So would I calculate my BMR based on my goal weight? Also, I don't know my lean body mass is there any way to estimate it?

I have read the e-book, is the calorie counting information only in the actual book?

It was the in the purchased actual e-book not sure if this is the e book you are referring to.

BMR based on current weight (so will need to be assessed as weight is lost).

For your lean body mass what about those scales that measure body composition? Not the most accurate but better that guestimating. From memory the protein requirements were .7 (or .75) times lean body mass (weight). I am on my way out now off for an overnight camp, will check it tomorrow and post some details.

It was the in the purchased actual e-book not sure if this is the e book you are referring to.

BMR based on current weight (so will need to be assessed as weight is lost).

For your lean body mass what about those scales that measure body composition? Not the most accurate but better that guestimating. From memory the protein requirements were .7 (or .75) times lean body mass (weight). I am on my way out now off for an overnight camp, will check it tomorrow and post some details.

Little_Fish is offline Member
    My current BMR is 1468.8cal. I'm eating in the 1225-1325cal. range for weight loss. My goal weight is 130lbs, 22 pounds. I haven't weighed myself since three days after I dropped my carbs and returned to primal. I do count calories because I'm serious about dropping this fat. In the past, I haven't tried as hard as I could have. I'm also counting because I want to get to know my body better, I want to figure out the numbers that work.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    You BMR is what your body needs just to exist - It does not include ANY activity. By eating around 1300 calories you are probably in 1000+ calorie deficit a day which is too much. If you want to cut some calories while eating Primal you can but that is too much. Maybe try and cut calories 2-300 below your total calorie needs must just your BMR.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ar0e is offline Member
    Ok so my BMR is 1766 calories and I used a body fat calculator that uses waist, hip, wrist, and forearm measurements to calculate (not sure how accurate that method is) and it said my body fat was 26.5% so based on my weight of 208lbs, my lean body mass is 153 lbs. So if I'm understanding correctly I should eat about 107 grams of protein (.7 grams per pound of lean body mass) and between 50 - 75 grams of carbs, and the rest of my diet should be fat. My exercise goals are to walk for leisure around my neighborhood about 4 miles a day, LHT 3 days a week, and sprint 2 days a week. So would a goal of 1500 calories a day be sufficient?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast