Thread: Figure Competition Preparation page

Kirstin81 is offline Junior Member

Figure Competition Preparation

Has anyone used the Primal diet for a body building show preparation? I'm currently training for one in September. What did your meals consist of?

leanybean is offline Junior Member

Me too!

I am very interested in this subject as well. I just feel like there has to be a better way to diet for these competitions. While the traditional low fat / carb cycling seems to work (produce winners), there seems to be a big flaw. The rebound is extraordinary in many of these woman. I have seen woman gain 30 pounds or so in a couple of short months after a competition! I would love to be able to maintain a close to competition weight (within 5 lbs or so) all year round and maybe play with macros at about 3 to 4 weeks before a competition. I think that would eliminate the whole rebound effect and be much more healthy as a whole.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I don't know if primal will help with that- my understanding is to win those things your BF% needs to be very low(?)- probably lower than is healthy. I don't think true primal will get you there. You shouldn't be going into amenorrhea on primal, pretty much by definition.

leanybean is offline Junior Member
    Figure competitors are not required to get to the super low body fat that other bodybuilders are required to do and usually the lower body fats are obtained within the last 4 to 8 weeks of prep. Most figure athletes that I know don't go into amenorrhea. Some do, really depending on their cardio intensity. I'm looking for a better way to get into body fat range and not have that huge rebound that most figure competitors go through.

Chrish2891 is offline Member
    I'm doing my first competition in a few months so i'm going to experiment with being primal while preparing. I suggest looking at John Meadows and Charles Poliquin for their competition diets. They're not Primal, but follow many of the same principals.
    Check out these websites
    www.mountaindogdiet.com
    www.charlespoliquin.com
    T-Nation.com

The Scott is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dan duchaine wrote a book many many years ago and might even be out of print that is all about keto prep for bodybuilding comp. He has some interesting ides for sure. http://www.amazon.com/Underground-Bo.../dp/0965310701