Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beef tongue page

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member

Beef tongue

Primal Fuel
    I just had a delicious BAS with spring mix, broccoli, red & yellow peppers, grape tomatoes and beef tongue. Soooo good, but I have to admit that preparing the tongue is ever-so-slightly gross to me. Up until it's skinned & sliced it's just so, so ... recgonizable.

Anybody else or am I just a big Primal wuss?

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    I made beef tongue and when I tried to tear it up after it was done I discovered it was so saturated with greasiness I couldn't discern meat from...whatever else was there!

Is it supposed to be like that?

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    There is a bit of gelatin or fat or head material, whatever it is, on tongue. Same with lamb tongue. It tastes DELICIOUS. No need to worry. Makes a great pot roast.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Just peel the tongue skin away and have at it... it's delicious.
    Part if the greasiness is actually rendered connective tissue... it's sticky where fat is greasy, they mix with the meat and it's GOOD.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I"m really going to have to slowly make my way to organ meats that aren't liver. They're just so...as you put it, LJH...recognizable!

*squirms*

keevelish is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it was too much for me. Hahah. I just can't stomach the ooey gooeyness of a mass of meat covered in collagen and what not. Maybe it would have been good in a sort of 'pulled beef tongue' recipe that made a sauce with all that collagen. It was covering my hands and smearing all over them. Bleh.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    Love it, I cook a bison tongue in my slow cooker for 8 hours every Sunday afternoon (no spices or anything, just water) then peel it and slice it as thin as I can. Then I put the slices in my fridge and take out a few and warm them in lard and spices up each morning for breakfast. One tongue lasts that way for about 3 days worth of breakfasts. I use the left over lard with spices to pour on some spinach as dressing too for breakfast. Usually with this kind of fatty goodness in a big ass breakfast salad I can last until the mid to late afternoon before hunger sets in.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    i like to cut away the skin and then thinly slice and fast fry it in lard. so good

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I made tongue, and I gotta say, wasn't super impressed. I think I needed to slice it more thinly, or cook it longer, or something.

Weird foods don't bug me, I just didn't go crazy for it.

Dig62 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been a total coward with regard to beef tongue but one of these days I really need to tackle one. I figure if my favorite fearless chef Julia Child could do it, then I should be able to also!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast