Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perioral dermatitis...SUCKS! page

patski is offline Senior Member

Perioral dermatitis...SUCKS!

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to keep this detailed, but brief.

I only went 100% Primal in late 2009; it lasted four months. I tell ya, going to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean RUIN ME!

Anyway. Around May of 2011, I developed red irritation around my nose/nostrils, and red blotchy spots around my mouth and chin, sometimes they were filled with pus (gross, I'm sorry). I tried everything, EVERYTHING! Doc gave me anti-biotic creams. Of course, they didn't work.

Finally, I went 100% Primal and cut out all wheat and sugar. I noticed I got a reaction from drinking coffee. Now I drink mate.

My Holistic Allergist who is trained in BioEnergertic Intolerance Elimination (wow, that's a mouthful), found numerous forms of yeast invading my body, a feline bacteria (have two kittehs), among some other, interesting allergies. I started taking some homeopathic drops along with making positive changes in my diet, added probiotics and flax as well. My irritation is almost completely gone! I found applying neem oil and coconut decreases the redness dramatically! Also, washing my face with Spectro Jel and adding some baking soda has helped huge as well. I remember reading that rinsing fruits/veggies in a baking soda solution kills yeast/fungi. And I thought, "this stuff on my face is yeast/fungus related, so it has to work". IT TOTALLY HAS!

So, my allergist has suggested I shouldn't eat eggs for breakfast every day because they drain digestive enzymes. I call BS. HOWEVER...I would like to mention that the areas around my nose (NOT my chin or around my mouth, oddly enough) will ITCH LIKE CRAZY in between meals. Say it's been five hours since I ate, and I'm hungry, though haven't stuffed my face yet with my yummy Primal lunch...my stomach will growl, and my skin around my noise will ITCH ITCH ITCH!

It's not consistent however. It's not every day between meals. I do wonder if it's the eggs...but I haven't noticed a correlation as of yet.

My allergist wants to keep testing me. I can't afford her any longer, as a) I don't have coverage for an allergist of ANY kind and b) I'm getting married this year! I need that money! LOL

She did mention that in between meals, my glucose is low, and insulin is high. So...why is my skin reacting?

Any thoughts???????

I love you guys. Thanks SO much!

PS. Ok, this post was kind of lengthy. My baaaaad.
    Last edited by patski; 01-20-2012 at 06:28 PM.

souldanzer is offline Senior Member
    I get peri oral/ocular dermatitis from additives in supplements. Personally, I don't believe much in allergy testing. Going back in time and thinking about what you changed in your daily regimen during the time you developed the dermatitis might help. That's what I did, and sure enough, it turned out to be a supplement I had recently added. Dermatitis healed within a few days of stopping the supplement.

Wow, really?

I'm not really taking anything these days, other than digestive enzymes.

HOWEVER...I wonder if this is leftover gunk in my system from being on Cipralex. Just got off the stuff in December. Hmmm....

souldanzer is offline Senior Member
    I was at the health food store buying my tried and true expensive probiotic (Garden of Life, pure powder form) and as I am reading the label at the check out ... "silicon dioxide" - one of the additives I react to with dermatitis.

Needless to say I pocketed my $40 and it went back on to the shelf... I would check absolutely everything that's in your cabinets. Especially the stuff that's supposed to be "clean" and from the "health" food store. They are coming up with new things to add b/c others are getting a bad rep. Magnesium Stearate is another common and allergenic one (that lately gets replaced with silicon dioxide). Rice flour - I react terribly (not with dermatitis, though).

Keeping a food/symptom journal might help, too.

I was keeping a food journal and documenting what gave me a reaction back when I cut out wheat altogether in late September.

I'm just confused as to why I itch between meals.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if it could be candidiasis...

Well, yes. My allergist did find numerous strains of yeast in my system.

I was taking grapefruit seed extract every day for a while there.

Still can't seem to kick this though. While it IS getting better, it's not gone completely yet. But skin takes a long time to heal....

Did they bychance recommend the YeastBusters program?

YeastBusters?!?

WUZZAT????

lol... Inno-Vite - Intestinal Cleansing - Yeast Busters

I found it much more palatable with a splash of unsweetened apple juice in the mix. I kicked my sugar addiction and lost a few more lbs thanks to this program.

Edit: I only did the kit for 2 months and didn't get any of the other stuff they list. I was advised to begin using Greens+ after being two weeks on the YB kit. I've phased out all of it now, though.
    Last edited by Unamused Mouse; 01-21-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast