Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems squatting page

kez56 is offline Junior Member

Problems squatting

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay,

I was all psyched up to start squatting today only to find out that numerous shoulder injuries have left me with decreased ROM on both joints to the point where I can no longer get my hands into position to hold on to the bar.

I know that leg presses are inferior but I may not have any other choice than to use the 45 degree machine.

Anyone else have this problem and if so how did you overcome it?

Cheers.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Can you just do BW squats for a while?

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Can you just do BW squats for a while?
    I could but I am wanting to incorporate heavy squats and in particular I am wanting to do either SS or Stronglifts.

I love squatting...always have. When I played rugby it was the cornerstone of my training. If I was squatting well, everything else just seemed to fall into place.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I have the same issue with my left shoulder. I find going pretty wide on the grip helps this. It's ok to have a wider grip. Just remember your hands are basically resting on the bar where the angle of your wrist is parallel with your arm. If you simple can't get any grip, you could do trap bar deadlifts. I use these to supplement squats. The leg press machine isn't bad, everybody freaks out about it. It's honestly one of the better machines. I own one and use it when i have back issues.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    You could hold a plate or kettlebells at your sides?

spughy is offline Senior Member
    Do single-leg squats, holding dumbbells at chest level?

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kez56 View Post
    Okay,

I was all psyched up to start squatting today only to find out that numerous shoulder injuries have left me with decreased ROM on both joints to the point where I can no longer get my hands into position to hold on to the bar.

I know that leg presses are inferior but I may not have any other choice than to use the 45 degree machine.

Anyone else have this problem and if so how did you overcome it?

Cheers.
    Alternatives=
    Front Squats
    Hip-Belt Squats
    Shrug-Bar Squats
    Safety Bar Squats
    Hack Squats
    Pistol (1 Legged) Squats
    Shrimp (1 Legged) Squats
    Quad Blaster as developed by Carlos DeJesus

Steve

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Work on shoulder mobility while you do Deadlifts, bodyweight squats as have been suggested (A one legged squat is the same as squating double your bodyweight) and the other squat options
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

damnit is offline Junior Member
    There are many variations of the squat that require the hands and arms in different positions and hold different types of weights. For a beginner start with bodyweight squats and if you want to add a bit of weight try something like a goblet or hanging dumbbell squat (look them up if unsure).

You can also try and mix it up by using the hack squat machine in addition to the leg press. You can also attempt single leg squats.

If you are really keen you can try for the front squat or zerchers but they are more advanced and you should get the basic back squat down first really.

If you are at a gym it's worth asking if they have what's called a safety squat bar or asking if they can source one. This will allow you to do the back squat without worrying about the shoulder. If you have a home gym, consider making an investment in one.

So yes, it's far from the end of the world.

Thanks for the input guys.

Through the power of the internet i've stumbled across this:

Dave Draper's IronOnline: Top Squat

I reckon this will solve my problem. Now I need to try and source one here in Australia.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast