Thread: cardio/weights order + weekend workouts page

Jennerator is offline Member

cardio/weights order + weekend workouts

Hey guys
    usually in the gym I do about 20-40 mins of cardio (with intervals or a "hill" setting on the machine) and then I hit the weights. This is just because I have traditionally focused more on cardio and added the weights as more of an afterthought.
    But now I'm interested in lifting heavier and sprinting harder.
    I was wondering if there is any difference to doing weights first versus cardio first? (apart from not being embarrassingly sweaty and red in the face during lifting)
    Will one help you lean out more than the other? My #1 goal is fat loss.

Also: is there any issue with working out hard on both sat and sunday and then doing one more workout on say wednesday? Or do you have to space out your workouts a day apart? It's easier to get to the gym on weekends but I know I will be sore on sunday.
    thanks!

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennerator View Post
    Hey guys
    usually in the gym I do about 20-40 mins of cardio (with intervals or a "hill" setting on the machine) and then I hit the weights. This is just because I have traditionally focused more on cardio and added the weights as more of an afterthought.
    But now I'm interested in lifting heavier and sprinting harder.
    I was wondering if there is any difference to doing weights first versus cardio first? (apart from not being embarrassingly sweaty and red in the face during lifting)
    Will one help you lean out more than the other? My #1 goal is fat loss.

Also: is there any issue with working out hard on both sat and sunday and then doing one more workout on say wednesday? Or do you have to space out your workouts a day apart? It's easier to get to the gym on weekends but I know I will be sore on sunday.
    thanks!
    Depending on your goals, generally workouts over an hour become counterproductive. If you are working intervals at high intensity, 20 minutes should be more than enough, which would leave you 40 minutes for strength exercises if you performed them both on the same day.

The research I have read showed that there was little difference when performing cardio before or after weights. However, this depends on your goals. If max strength is a goal you would not want to wear yourself out with cardio than attempt max lifts. Although for general health, fitness, and strength it doesn't really matter.

If performing full-body weight sessions, it's always a good idea to take at least one day of rest between those sessions. In other words you should not perform weights two days in a row, unless you are performing a split-routine which I wouldn't personally recommend. However, performing weights on one day and cardio on the next would be acceptable.

Steve

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    For me, I find I do better with my strength training if I do 10-15 minutes on the treadmill first. Nothing too exhausting. I reserve my "cardio" stuff for days I'm not doing weights.

I don't know if this is "right" but this is sort of what I'm working on...
    Mon- Weights
    Tues- Cardio (either moderate walk, sprints or both)
    Wed- Weights
    Thurs- Cardio (same as Tues)
    Fri- Weights
    Sat- Intense Cardio (1 hour biking - attempting to reach 20 miles in under an hour so I can successfully bike to work when weather permits.)
    Sun- OFF

Random off days may happen through the week, if the body demands it. Either Wed or Thurs typically.

Jennerator is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    thanks guys!