Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eggs drain the body of digestive enzymes?! page

patski is offline Senior Member

Eggs drain the body of digestive enzymes?!

Primal Fuel
    Howdy!

I've been seeing a holistic allergist. She's been great, or rather, the homeopathic drops she's given me, and my dietary changes have been great. I don't buy into everything she does/says.

The last time I saw her, she warned me against eating eggs every day for breakfast. She told me they drain the body of digestive enzymes, and I should be careful, because I had my gallbladder removed.

WTF!!?!?! My BS alarm went off in my head. What do ya'll think?

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to be snarky, but your BS alarm went off at that and not at homeopathy?

Snarky is ok I'm an ass most times.

No, I've been using homeopathic remedies for several years, and I have noticed a huge difference. No, I don't believe it's in my head.

raney is offline Senior Member
    The enzyme reference sounds like raw foodist related pseudo-science bs to me. However, eggs can invoke a histamine response by elevating IgE antibody levels in response to proteins found in the whites.

If you have any potentially histamine response related symptoms it may be worth trying to eliminate them for a period and see how you feel. You'll find some folks in the paleosphere that separate their whites and yolks, pouring the former down the drain.

O RLY?

What would be an example of histamine response symptoms? Now you have my curiosity piqued...

Egg allergy symptoms can include:

Skin inflammation or hives ó the most common egg allergy reaction
    Allergic nasal inflammation (allergic rhinitis)
    Digestive (gastrointestinal) symptoms, such as cramps, nausea and vomiting
    Asthma signs and symptoms such as coughing, chest tightness or shortness of breath
    Mayo clinic's egg allergy resource (I know, I know - I'm linking to the proprietor of CW.)

Basically the generic definition of "allergy symptoms", occuring in either the skin, digestive, or respiratory systems. Good example: I get a runny nose after eating wheat. It lasts one - three days depending on dose.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....

Now you've got me thinking. But I may need to post an entirely new thread on this.

This site has a bit further discussion - apparently there are enzyme inhibitors! Though they are broken down pretty quickly by heating.

Also, from the article "Lysozyme from Egg Whites" by Loren Cordain:

"Should everybody include eggs in their diet on a daily basis? Not necessarily, particularly if we examine the evolutionary template. Without question our preagricultural ancestors would have collected and consumed eggs from birdsí nests whenever possible. However, in the wild, bird eggs only appear seasonally. Hence, pre-agricultural humans could have never consumed two eggs for breakfast every morning of the year similar to some westernized people, but rather only occasionally for a few brief weeks or months."
    and:

"As I have previously mentioned, a chicken egg is the reproductive endpoint for adult birds and survives by living outside its motherís body in a semi permeable compartment that is essentially immovable. Accordingly, it has no means of protecting itself from microorganisms or predation by physical escape or avoidance. For this reason, the evolutionary strategy eggs have taken to protect themselves from microbial invaders is to select for toxic substances in the egg white; mainly in the form of antimicrobial proteins."
    Which are the proteins I mentioned invoking an immune response.

WHOA! You just blew my mind Raney!

Maybe I'll start doing eggs every other day, and do my massive coconut milk, spinach, flax and berry shake on off days.

HMMMM!

Check out my other thread I just started

Thanks so much!!!

sunnysara is offline Senior Member
    I am allergic to egg whites... I was feeling really nauseous 24/7 with a swollen sore throat for two months before taking the allergy test. Egg whites were the culprit. Hence, I eat a lot of meat!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast