Thread: Civeche :0( page

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member

Civeche :0(

Shop Now
    So, I'm bummed.

I've had a craving for freshly caught, raw salmon - for as long as I can remember. I finally had the guts to try some salmon sashimi and found it to taste bland, because of it being previously frozen. Previously frozen fish is NOT what I'm craving.

I can buy fresh salmon from the store, that's been caught that morning. Every time I open the package, it smells SOOO GOOD *Drool*.

I'm totally not down with getting tapeworm or other yummies from wild caught pacific salmon - so, I don't give in to my craving.

I looked up civeche, to see if marinating the raw fish in citric fruit juice would make it safe to eat. It does "cook" the meat - BUT, the acid in your stomach is stronger than the acid in the marinade - you still get worms. If your stomach acid doesn't do it, there's not a very good chance lemon juice will.

Bummer

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You just have to measure the risk you're willing to take. What is the *actual* odds of getting a tapeworm from said salmon? Find some statistics and see if it's a risk you're willing to take.

I'm a fan of raw meat in various forms. I get local beef and trust my butcher, so eating raw ground beef is a risk I'm willing to take. Occasionally I will eat raw venison or bacon (yes bacon) from my butcher. The risk isn't that big that I'm really concerned, and I figure if something does happen, that's what the doctor's for.

Shoot, even raw eggs- if you buy conventional grocery store eggs- is a 1 in 10,000 risk in getting salmonella from eating them raw. Pastured eggs is probably more like 1 in 30,000. I'll take that bet.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you might get a worm... it's completely treatable. I eat raw salmon.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I usually eat my beef raw, but our salmon are more known for parasites than the Atlantic salmon. I've got too many problems in my cripple body as it is, I'm not comfortable with a parasitic infection.

I've also really been craving salmon eggs - going to have to find me some, somewhere.