Thread: whole 30 and paleo diet questions,a bunch and not well organized. page

mosin46 is offline Senior Member

whole 30 and paleo diet questions,a bunch and not well organized.

Primal Fuel
    been researching/reading a bunch on these topics and i am getting pretty "dazed and confused". eat a lot of meat, eggs,fish,the cleaner the better. i get that. lose the grains and legumes. i get that. lose the diary. i get that,but maybe only kinda in the light of a recent well done post here. lose the nightshades. well,OK. but,then what do you eat for natural scource vitamins/antioxidents? it appears to me that the things left,available commonly and affordably are: carrots;lettuce,greens,spinach (fiber,water and a minimum of vitamins);celery (fiber and water only). berries and fruit-OK love it,but with type 2 DM they have the same effect as a hersey bar. supplement? tried that-expensive and i hate taking 4-12 horse pills a day. whole 30 doesn't mention nightshades and tomatoes are integral to many/most clean recipies (generic,asian,indian) recipies i have reviewed. ok carbs can come from sweet potatoes/yams and squash (hate it). whole 30 doesn't dis nightshades,as far as i know. yea,got to spend the $40 to get the download. got a bunch of questions re whole 30 lifelong stuff i.e. wild rice being evil forever and a few more. yea,buy the download and consider it an induction plan like 1st 2 weeks of atkins. can even supplement fiber. tastes like s--t,but benefits per the research on citrus pectin are stone cold ++. that said,i am really floundering on the vegtable/vitamin/antioxiden natural food issue. any input,experience,knowledge,opinions,ideas,even rants would be greatly appreciated.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    don't sweat the nightshades. i'm sure there's someone out there who's nightshade intolerant, but frankly... don't sweat the nightshades. you don't sound remarkably confused about anything else. fruit is fine, just don't make it de rigeour at every meal.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Try sweet potatoes/yams/squash in a stew.

Nightshades/tomatoes are only an issue if you have allergies to them. You can only find this by eliminating and bringing them back slowly.

You forgot about asparagus/broccoli/cauliflower/onions/parsnips/spaghetti squash/summer squash/turnips/beets/kale/broccoli rabe/broccolini/radishes/...I know I'm missing more.

Carbs can come from: parsnips/spaghetti squash/summer squash/turnips/beets as well...plus White rice isnt so bad.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

thanks guys. keep 'em coming.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    All fruits and vegetables are unprocessed carbohydrates, yes? :-) -- as are grains, but we won't go there, being primal:-)
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I'm skipping all fruits except blueberries (highly nutritious and low glycemic) for the moment and eating just a wealth of vegetables (except starchy ones and nightshades} and it seems to be a huge success. I use coconut oil and all kinds of meats and fowl. I find making sure I don't skimp on fat really helps me be satisfied. Only on my fifth day, but I've dropped two belt sizes. I take D3 and krill. Try steaming kale and putting crispy bacon over it -- or cook bacon and then add kale to it. Just an idea, but maybe you'll like it:-) I think once you find a few vegies you can pig out on, it'll get easier. Check out the nutrition in kale and collards. It's amazing. Hoping it gets easier. New to primal -- but not vegie nutrition -- so feel free to ask. They are some great people on this site who are full of information:-)
    Think about the feel of looser shirts
    Keep it simple
    Eat really tasty food

activia is offline Senior Member
    Try cooking your veggies in lots of good fats, and with other flavors that you enjoy including some good sauces (like a good tomato sauce, or homemade lemon caper sauce). Try roasting them for awhile, try mashing turnips/cauliflower adding a lot of butter. Eventually you can use less and less as you develop a taste for them. Also slow cooking them with meat in stews/soups tones down the flavors a lot. I also love sauteeing them in bacon grease or lard with caramelized onions and minced garlic. Experiment, open up your horizons.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

thanks again folks

dana_leigh is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by mosin46 View Post
    been researching/reading a bunch on these topics and i am getting pretty "dazed and confused"...
    you might want to check out our whole30 experience over the following thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d44962-43.html

or take a look at all the yummy stuff on nomnom paleo this month: Nom Nom Paleo

you don't need to buy the book to do whole30...just do a little reading on their website and the whole9 blog (tons of resources and clear, thorough info there): 9 BLOG

i'm on day 21 of the whole30. have found it easy and feel great (and i don't just eat meat all the time). cheers.