Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 108

Thread: Steve Jobs' high fructose diet page 5

  1. #41
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I had to replace an iPhone battery once. It was quite a project, compared to just removing and swapping it out.
    I can't stand my iPhone. I only have one because it was given to me by a friend when I had no other phone to use(old one was d-d-d-estroyed, ran it over) and it was free. I can see why now. It's literally useless, and the fact it's a step up from most Apple hardware is sad.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  2. #42
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    It is amusing to see an argument about computing platforms on a forum about Paleolithic diets.
    Struggle against it all you like, but fact is, all computational devices have the ability to access infinite memory and everything in the physical universe can be described mathematically -- meaning that, technology, and computers are, and will become sentient beings, and we, this diet, that era, this era, are blinks of an eye with no real meaning whatsoever.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  3. #43
    mike's Avatar
    mike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Spain
    Posts
    172
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Struggle against it all you like, but fact is, all computational devices have the ability to access infinite memory and everything in the physical universe can be described mathematically -- meaning that, technology, and computers are, and will become sentient beings, and we, this diet, that era, this era, are blinks of an eye with no real meaning whatsoever.
    Ok. What I'm saying is that we should be arguing over what matters. vi or emacs? Ford or Chevy? Pressure cooker or slow cooker? Grok on.

  4. #44
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Ok. What I'm saying is that we should be arguing over what matters. vi or emacs? Ford or Chevy? Pressure cooker or slow cooker? Grok on.
    Grok on does not compute.

    I prefer Honda.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  5. #45
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Steve Jobs wasn't brilliant, nor did he revolutionize or invent anything. He was a genius at marketing, I will give him that. In fact, he was actually a pretty selfish, arrogant, self-absorbed, detestable person, really.
    Really? You didn't know him personally. I did. You know tabloid dreck. STFU.

    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    But where did you read that he stole the idea?
    Again, prove it or STFU.

  6. #46
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Really? You didn't know him personally. I did. You know tabloid dreck. STFU.

    Again, prove it or STFU.
    Who cares? I'm not personally invested in the man, I just know how selfish he was(never once donated anything to charities, unlike Bill Gates) and the outward persona he displayed. That poor, poor kid.

    From Steve Jobs:

    "…Reed College at that time offered perhaps the best calligraphy
    instruction in the country. Throughout the campus every poster,
    every label on every drawer, was beautifully hand calligraphed.
    Because I had dropped out and didn’t have to take the normal
    classes, I decided to take a calligraphy class to learn how to do
    this. I learned about serif and san serif typefaces, about varying
    the amount of space between different letter combinations, about
    what makes great typography great. It was beautiful, historical,
    artistically subtle in a way that science can’t capture, and I found
    it fascinating.

    None of this had even a hope of any practical application in my
    life. But ten years later, when we were designing the first
    Macintosh computer, it all came back to me. And we designed it all
    into the Mac. It was the first computer with beautiful typography.
    If I had never dropped in on that single course in college, the Mac
    would have never had multiple typefaces or proportionally spaced
    fonts. And since Windows just copied the Mac, it’s likely that no
    personal computer would have them. If I had never dropped out, I
    would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal
    computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do…"

    Lofty claim akin to saying that no one would have discovered x if not for themselves. Windows copied Mac(lol), but Mac was a stolen idea from Xerox, ergo, another rip.

    Here you go:

    These are all the ideas Apple stole from other companies, or people, and sold for billions | Reviews, news, tips, and tricks | dotTech
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  7. #47
    redcard's Avatar
    redcard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    No, I'm saying 90% are overpaying out of a rhetoric and propaganda thanks to Apple's buzzword laden marketing schemes using consumer friendly phrases that have no real meaning("It just works") and or falsities("Macs have no viruses"). All of which have no real meaning to anyone who should be even lightly familiar with technology in this day and age. They make all other platforms seem really complicated, when in fact, they are not. My PC requires 0 maintenance and I've never had a virus in my entire life. The only reason Macs may have fewer viruses, not none, and in fact it's far easier to write a virus for a Mac, is because most people can't be bothered to write a virus for a platform with such few users and with no real software support.

    That's not how probability of opinions works. The more people saying it, the more likely it is to actually be true, so in this case, it is highly more likely we are all right. Just go to the Apple website, build a machine, then go to Newegg, or somewhere similar, build a similar machine, and check the price difference. It's ridiculous. Here is an example, though the parts for the non-Mac build are much higher quality:



    Anyone can fix a laptop that isn't a Mac, you don't need to send it in for repairs, and the last part seems like way too much of a personal opinion to be taken seriously.
    So, you can't take my 'personal opinion, but the fact you've never had a virus and your PC requires zero maintenance is perfectly fine? Bizarre double-standard there, particularly when about half the country have had virus problems. Just as long as yours is still running perfectly.

    Every consumer satisfaction survey since about 1926 backs up my point on customer support.

    Anyone can fix a laptop that isn't a Mac? Come on, you know that isn't true. Do you know how many Dell laptops get shipped in for repair every month?

  8. #48
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    PC requires zero maintenance for anyone even mildly tech savvy, and, who on earth gets viruses anymore unless they're 50 years old on their first computer and browsing shady porn sites? Firefox + Adblock Plus + Noscript + some common sense = no viruses, ever.

    This goes for every company ever including Apple, no?

    I meant any tech shop, even mom and pop ones, and people like me who did it for side cash for a while. It's really, really not very hard.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

  9. #49
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Wow. Success always attracts its share of haters but you, Derp, are over the top.

    I don't care what you say about the technology. (BTW, I know a lot more about the early days of Steve Jobs and his inventions than you or some biased blog you cite ever will. Steve worked for my uncle at Atari before moving on to start Apple and remained a close family friend.)

    You have a right to hate your iphone if you don't like it, personal opinions and all that, but leave the hating on the man who was my friend out of it, OK?

  10. #50
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,332
    PrimalCon New York
    I don't hate him, I have no feelings about him whatsoever. I just posted some actual facts regarding his "innovations", and shady business practices, and the fact I have no bias towards him personally means I can safely say that it reflects his personality quite well. It's unlikely he ever had an original idea in his entire life, he was just more charismatic about presenting the ideas than most other people. Like Apple products, a true con.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •