Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Jobs' high fructose diet page 4

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    The one where he claimed to invent typography(lel)? A lot of people I know(not you), have false admiration for someone they really have no idea about.

He didn't really create anything per se, he merely had a final saying on what was integrated in certain products and what wasn't. Their horribly strict and ridiculous patent claims stifle innovation as well -- so, if anything, Apple has successfully, and nearly single-handedly pushed technological advancement back quite a bit. Now, thanks to this, we spend more on Facebook integration and fucking touch screens than creating something actually useful.

Also, I think our definitions of "amazing" product differ slightly, or largely. I find Apple products aesthetically pleasing, but that's about it. Technologically, they're more than subpar, and they source cheap products(they charge 600+ dollars for something that cost less than 100 for them to make, so they make a killing by name only) from horribly conditioned factories where their workers commit suicide en masse.

I really cannot stand the Apple cultists though.
    LOL - he didn't claim to invent typography! He took typography modules, and then integrated different fonts into his vision for a computer that worked well and wasn't sterile.

Apple cultists have made life very difficult for those of us who actually need to use Macs My work involves software that can only run on Apple. I constantly get negative comments for owning a Mac (from Mac haters).

I grew up using Windows, and I have to say that the Apple computer is a much more intelligent, stable machine. That's what I mean by amazing product. Not referring to the Apple gimmicks they brought out in subsequent years, and the industry that mushroomed around them. As far as I know, the original computer design was Jobs'?

Speaking of gimmicks: The fucking iPad. The most unintelligent piece of crap I've had the misfortune to try to figure out. The reason I couldn't figure out how to do <insert really simple thing> was because... the iPad can't do it. UGH! It's designed for people who have no idea about technology, and then those of us who do are subjected to its inadequacies through its failure to even placate its intended audience.[/RANT]

They don't, Mark Sisson is actually as old as time itself, so he can claim without a doubt about exactly how our ancestors ate.
    Lol.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    OCD comes in many forms. SJ was a control freak (like many of us). He knew what he knew about nutrition, and over did it, like so many others. Could his cancer started because of his diet? Who knows. Could he have been in a better position to fight it, even for a short while if he ate better? Maybe.

I believe it's a "walk a mile in his shoes" thing. He was brilliant, he was weird (a mark of genius or insanity). He seemed like a nice guy. RIP Steve.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm unhealthy too == makes me a genius.
    If this wasn't sarcastic, what a stupid post.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    LOL - he didn't claim to invent typography! He took typography modules, and then integrated different fonts into his vision for a computer that worked well and wasn't sterile.

Apple cultists have made life very difficult for those of us who actually need to use Macs My work involves software that can only run on Apple. I constantly get negative comments for owning a Mac (from Mac haters).

I grew up using Windows, and I have to say that the Apple computer is a much more intelligent, stable machine. That's what I mean by amazing product. Not referring to the Apple gimmicks they brought out in subsequent years, and the industry that mushroomed around them. As far as I know, the original computer design was Jobs'?

Speaking of gimmicks: The fucking iPad. The most unintelligent piece of crap I've had the misfortune to try to figure out. The reason I couldn't figure out how to do <insert really simple thing> was because... the iPad can't do it. UGH! It's designed for people who have no idea about technology, and then those of us who do are subjected to its inadequacies through its failure to even placate its intended audience.[/RANT]

Lol.
    He stole it.

Stable intelligent machine? You build your own machine to run Windows on, unlike Mac, and they typically charge you 300% increase for 3 year old hardware. It is entirely customizable, and you can even carry over your old hardware for new machines. Which you can't do on a Mac. In fact, you have to send everything in for repairs, even for a webcam, because of all the proprietary hardware. The OS is extremely proprietary too, to the point the only thing you can actually customize is the appearance. It's for the technologically illiterate.

Since Windows 7, Windows has been rock stable, and a very innovative OS.
    nihil

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    He stole it.

Stable intelligent machine? You build your own machine to run Windows on, unlike Mac, and they typically charge you 300% increase for 3 year old hardware. It is entirely customizable, and you can even carry over your old hardware for new machines. Which you can't do on a Mac. In fact, you have to send everything in for repairs, even for a webcam, because of all the proprietary hardware. The OS is extremely proprietary too, to the point the only thing you can actually customize is the appearance. It's for the technologically illiterate.

Interesting... That makes sense, actually.

But where did you read that he stole the idea?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

redcard is offline Junior Member
    He stole it.

So basically what you're saying is that a Mac is perfectly suitable for 90% of the population.

Regarding the proprietary hardware, Windows zealots have been saying for years that Macs contain the exact same hardware as cheaper Windows machines. Not all of you can be correct.

Knocking Apple support is also a bad move when you consider the horrendous experience you're in for when you send a laptop to any of the other big guns for repairs.

mike is offline Senior Member
    It is amusing to see an argument about computing platforms on a forum about Paleolithic diets.

Quote Originally Posted by redcard View Post
    So basically what you're saying is that a Mac is perfectly suitable for 90% of the population.

Regarding the proprietary hardware, Windows zealots have been saying for years that Macs contain the exact same hardware as cheaper Windows machines. Not all of you can be correct.

Knocking Apple support is also a bad move when you consider the horrendous experience you're in for when you send a laptop to any of the other big guns for repairs.
    No, I'm saying 90% are overpaying out of a rhetoric and propaganda thanks to Apple's buzzword laden marketing schemes using consumer friendly phrases that have no real meaning("It just works") and or falsities("Macs have no viruses"). All of which have no real meaning to anyone who should be even lightly familiar with technology in this day and age. They make all other platforms seem really complicated, when in fact, they are not. My PC requires 0 maintenance and I've never had a virus in my entire life. The only reason Macs may have fewer viruses, not none, and in fact it's far easier to write a virus for a Mac, is because most people can't be bothered to write a virus for a platform with such few users and with no real software support.

That's not how probability of opinions works. The more people saying it, the more likely it is to actually be true, so in this case, it is highly more likely we are all right. Just go to the Apple website, build a machine, then go to Newegg, or somewhere similar, build a similar machine, and check the price difference. It's ridiculous. Here is an example, though the parts for the non-Mac build are much higher quality:

Anyone can fix a laptop that isn't a Mac, you don't need to send it in for repairs, and the last part seems like way too much of a personal opinion to be taken seriously.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-20-2013 at 01:24 PM.
    nihil

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Interesting... That makes sense, actually.

But where did you read that he stole the idea?
    Xerox
    nihil

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had to replace an iPhone battery once. It was quite a project, compared to just removing and swapping it out.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast