Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Jobs' high fructose diet page 3

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Steve Jobs wasn't brilliant, nor did he revolutionize or invent anything. He was a genius at marketing, I will give him that. In fact, he was actually a pretty selfish, arrogant, self-absorbed, detestable person, really.

This won't be a popular opinion though especially since he's dead and all
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    My husband is also a computer programmer who often forgets to eat when in his groove, which is practically every day. This is a side effect of hyper-focus. While alarming to many of us, food becomes a very distant thought to those deep in their thoughts. My husband lived on caffeinated drinks and was underweight before we met. It just didn't phase him to eat more than once a day or every other day; it's not conscious behavior. He doesn't have strong hunger signals, or rather they are drown out by his mental activity. To this day most of his food intake occurs because I invite him to eat with me or bring him a packed lunch, which will often sit there untouched for hours because he also loses touch with time. Hours seem like only seconds in his busy brain. I joke with him about his super powers, but it's actually really common amongst geniuses with Asperger's. I envy his disconnect with food! Another thing that drives me nuts is he's perfectly content with mono foods!! No side dishes or exotic seasoning, just perfectly satisfied with a piece of plain meat on his plate or one bagel will tide him over for 24 hours.
    My boyfriend is a computer programmer. When he is working on something, he forgets to eat. He will work on something until he stands up and practically keels over from lack of calories and possibly low blood sugar (though he won't let me test that).

I don't see it as a benign personality quirk related to genius or non-neurotypicality. I see it as a health-threatening problem not unlike an eating disorder. No one should need to be continually reminded to eat to keep them from starving down to an unhealthy condition, whether it be underweight or low blood sugar.

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    My husband is also a computer programmer who often forgets to eat when in his groove, which is practically every day. This is a side effect of hyper-focus. While alarming to many of us, food becomes a very distant thought to those deep in their thoughts. My husband lived on caffeinated drinks and was underweight before we met. It just didn't phase him to eat more than once a day or every other day; it's not conscious behavior. He doesn't have strong hunger signals, or rather they are drown out by his mental activity. To this day most of his food intake occurs because I invite him to eat with me or bring him a packed lunch, which will often sit there untouched for hours because he also loses touch with time. Hours seem like only seconds in his busy brain. I joke with him about his super powers, but it's actually really common amongst geniuses with Asperger's. I envy his disconnect with food! Another thing that drives me nuts is he's perfectly content with mono foods!! No side dishes or exotic seasoning, just perfectly satisfied with a piece of plain meat on his plate or one bagel will tide him over for 24 hours.
    OoooOOoooh, does this make me genius level? I generally hate taking the time to eat, let alone cook food. I'm one of the few people that would lose weight around the holidays because I was so busy making presents, I didn't take time to eat. I really don't have strong hunger urges. Which is, of course, a problem, especially since I'm now pregnant... and now nauseous most of the time. I have to force myself to eat, and I'm happy to say I've gained 35 pounds this pregnancy. I guess this all adds proof to Knifegill's theory that I have Asperger's...

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    I'm unhealthy too == makes me a genius.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    My boyfriend is a computer programmer. When he is working on something, he forgets to eat. He will work on something until he stands up and practically keels over from lack of calories and possibly low blood sugar (though he won't let me test that).

I don't see it as a benign personality quirk related to genius or non-neurotypicality. I see it as a health-threatening problem not unlike an eating disorder. No one should need to be continually reminded to eat to keep them from starving down to an unhealthy condition, whether it be underweight or low blood sugar.
    Yes, we refer to it as "code mode." As I understand it, programming requires intense concentration and any deviation makes it very, very hard to resume where they left off. At least this is how it is for someone with Asperger's and ADHD, like my husband.

My husband drinks way too many sugary beverages to have low blood sugar, although his numbers almost always run in the high 70s - low 80s even postprandial; 90 after a soda. Despite his sluggish appetite, our doctor says he's very healthy. He doesn't have any symptoms related to his low caloric intake, probably because I try to feed him as often as I can. Which is unnatural to him, because he would not eat nearly as much as I push upon him. And when he does eat, he is so in touch with his needs that he stops when he is genuinely full and never ever overeats because it is too uncomfortable to him. I used to believe this was a problem, but after almost 9 years, I understand that he just works differently, and sometimes it's advantageous. I think some monks have this relationship with food whereas it becomes low priority in favor of other stimulation. I notice that when my husband eats beyond his natural set point he slows down and feels lousy regardless of the type of food. I also think Americans have grown so accustomed to large meals and males who do vigorous manual labor, but my husband is seated upwards of 22 hours a day. I think it would probably be bad if he did have an overactive appetite for his minimal activity level.

Don't get me wrong, I don't automatically associate any of these behaviors with genius, but many with Asperger's are geniuses and these are common traits. They may seem unhealthy and bizarre, but I have learned that they can actually be fascinating mutations which are generally innocuous.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-20-2013 at 12:59 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldergirl View Post
    OoooOOoooh, does this make me genius level? I generally hate taking the time to eat, let alone cook food. I'm one of the few people that would lose weight around the holidays because I was so busy making presents, I didn't take time to eat. I really don't have strong hunger urges. Which is, of course, a problem, especially since I'm now pregnant... and now nauseous most of the time. I have to force myself to eat, and I'm happy to say I've gained 35 pounds this pregnancy. I guess this all adds proof to Knifegill's theory that I have Asperger's...
    I think Asperger's is under-diagnosed! My husband wasn't aware of his until his nephew was diagnosed with it a few years ago. It runs rampant in his family, I believe, based on the distinctive symptoms.
    Last edited by j3nn; 07-20-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Steve Jobs wasn't brilliant, nor did he revolutionize or invent anything. He was a genius at marketing, I will give him that. In fact, he was actually a pretty selfish, arrogant, self-absorbed, detestable person, really.

This won't be a popular opinion though especially since he's dead and all
    I was so sad when Steve Jobs died! He was the first celebrity who passed that I actually gave a shit about. Of course, my adulation is based on nothing more than his amazing speech at Stanford, which I listened to many, many times over the years, whenever I felt like I was wasting my life / being an idiot for pursuing my dream job. Now I can say - Steve was right!

Plus, he created an amazing product.

Regarding the rest of the thread: what a load of fear-mongering horse shit. Can anyone name one Paleo genius? Have there been studies on the life expectancy of people on the Paleo diet? How do people eating this way die?
    Last edited by YogaBare; 07-20-2013 at 04:01 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Yes, we refer to it as "code mode." As I understand it, programming requires intense concentration and any deviation makes it very, very hard to resume where they left off. At least this is how it is for someone with Asperger's and ADHD, like my husband.

My husband drinks way too many sugary beverages to have low blood sugar, although his numbers almost always run in the high 70s - low 80s even postprandial; 90 after a soda. Despite his sluggish appetite, our doctor says he's very healthy. He doesn't have any symptoms related to his low caloric intake, probably because I try to feed him as often as I can. Which is unnatural to him, because he would not eat nearly as much as I push upon him. And when he does eat, he is so in touch with his needs that he stops when he is genuinely full and never ever overeats because it is too uncomfortable to him. I used to believe this was a problem, but after almost 9 years, I understand that he just works differently, and sometimes it's advantageous. I think some monks have this relationship with food whereas it becomes low priority in favor of other stimulation. I notice that when my husband eats beyond his natural set point he slows down and feels lousy regardless of the type of food. I also think Americans have grown so accustomed to large meals and males who do vigorous manual labor, but my husband is seated upwards of 22 hours a day. I think it would probably be bad if he did have an overactive appetite for his minimal activity level.

Don't get me wrong, I don't automatically associate any of these behaviors with genius, but many with Asperger's are geniuses and these are common traits. They may seem unhealthy and bizarre, but I have learned that they can actually be fascinating mutations which are generally innocuous.
    I'm trying to train him to eat not long after getting up. He does much better all day regardless of whether he is coding or not if he has had real food first thing, rather than several code reds in an hour and then nothing for 4-6 hours. I can't always be there to put food in front of him. It's not like there's no food in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    I was so sad when Steve Jobs died! He was the first celebrity who passed that I actually gave a shit about. Of course, my adulation is based on nothing more than his amazing speech at Stanford, which I listened to many, many times over the years, whenever I felt like I was wasting my life / being an idiot for pursuing my dream job. Now I can say - Steve was right!

Plus, he created an amazing product.
    The one where he claimed to invent typography(lel)? A lot of people I know(not you), have false admiration for someone they really have no idea about.

He didn't really create anything per se, he merely had a final saying on what was integrated in certain products and what wasn't. Their horribly strict and ridiculous patent claims stifle innovation as well -- so, if anything, Apple has successfully, and nearly single-handedly pushed technological advancement back quite a bit. Now, thanks to this, we spend more on Facebook integration and fucking touch screens than creating something actually useful.

Also, I think our definitions of "amazing" product differ slightly, or largely. I find Apple products aesthetically pleasing, but that's about it. Technologically, they're more than subpar, and they source cheap products(they charge 600+ dollars for something that cost less than 100 for them to make, so they make a killing by name only) from horribly conditioned factories where their workers commit suicide en masse.

I really cannot stand the Apple cultists though.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 07-20-2013 at 08:13 AM.

Regarding the rest of the thread: what a load of fear-mongering horse shit. Can anyone name one Paleo genius? Have there been studies on the life expectancy of people on the Paleo diet? How do people eating this way die?
    They don't, Mark Sisson is actually as old as time itself, so he can claim without a doubt about exactly how our ancestors ate.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast