Thread: Healing my mind and my body - once and for all. WHOLE30 page

broccolette is offline Junior Member

Healing my mind and my body - once and for all. WHOLE30

Primal Fuel
    Background: I'm a 21 year old female who has had issues with food for the past 10 years (It hurts me to write that). I struggled with anorexia for 5 years and then binge eating (which has left me slightly overweight) for 5 years. I am a sugar and carb addict but will binge on anything. I have trouble with hunger signals, eating slowly, and actually experiencing satiety and fullness. Food has been ruling my life for years and I'm really sick of it!

Barely 5' 3'', 140-145 pounds (I don't weigh myself often, but I know I fall in this range), medium frame. I think my optimum weight is about 125 pounds, but I'd be thrilled at 120... I think I'd be content at 130, which is what I'm aiming for first. I'm trying to be careful because of my eating disordered past, because the last thing I want to do is fall back into that cycle of hell.

Paleo makes unbelievable sense to me, and I've been limiting my carbs (sugar/flour) for the past 3-4 years because I'm slightly insulin resistant and I've had previous success with South Beach. For most of that time, I've been eating low-fat, which I'm excited to STOP forever. I've been paleo (with dairy, nuts, stevia, and dark chocolate) for the past month and I love how it makes me feel. I cook all of my meals and I'm obsessed with vegetables, especially roasted brussels sprouts (my favorite favorite favorite), cabbage, broccoli, and eggplant. I actually prefer turkey and chicken to most red meat, but that might be because I've trained myself to over the years.

I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow (I'm fasting for the rest of the day today because I binged on almonds and dark chocolate this morning), including 16/8 fasts. The one thing I'm still including is alcohol, because this is my last semester of college and I'm just not willing to sacrifice it at this time. The plan is to fast 4pm-8am, as many days as possible. I've dabbled in IF a few times and LOVE it! IF helps with my binges TREMENDOUSLY, and it helps me identify and understand my hunger signals.

Unfortunately, I've recently had a few "paleo binges" which have been on almond flour concoctions, dark chocolate, nuts, and dairy. I'm excited to cut these out of my diet and really cure my mind. My favorite thing about paleo is that it really helps you heal from the inside out, which is exactly what I need. I'm sick of having a terrible relationship with food, and I'm ready to heal my mind and body once and for all. It's time.

My goals are to stick to this as much as possible, to post on this forum everyday, and to finally make real strides in fixing my relationship with food. Also, I want to lose weight, as I said above. Spring break is in 5 weeks and I would love to be comfortable in shorts.

All are welcome to join me, either with their own Whole30 journey or with encouragement!

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Good luck to you...you're in a good spot for support and guidance. I think I'll do a whole 30 in a couple months after I fully adjust to the lifestyle and diet.

lizeroo is offline Junior Member
    I have been eating Primal since Jan. 3 and lost about 24 lb in 3 months. I have been about 90:10 compliant, though my family had 3 artisan pizza cheat meals in that time! I absolutely love how I feel these days and was surprised to see that my hsCRP actually rose while I was eating primally - to a scary 11.0. For this reason, I am just finishing week one of a Whole30. It has been not too bad. I eat a coconut macacado smoothie every morning in place of my whey protein shake and do IF till supper. I have cut out all dairy, fruit and nightshades this month to see if that is why I am inflamed. The great thing is that it is shredding fat like crazy. I have lost 5.5 lb this week, which bring my total to almost 30 lb.
    Do try to skip the alcohol if you can- like Chris Kresser says, even a small amount of one of the excluded foods can trigger inflammation on the whole 30. But hang in there