Thread: A couple of newbie questions page

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

A couple of newbie questions

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I started eating primal around the first of the month. I started out just giving up bread and now I am fully primal with just a few cheats in a day. Like eating a handful of my kids' chips.

The first change that I have noticed is my belly feeling tighter. I am not exercising much so I attribute the change to diet. I have been curious about this. Is this a normal change?

Mysecond change was my fasting blood level has now returned to the high normal range. 120s mostly. So I quit the ACTOS which I detested. Frequent urination and more water retention, along with the risk for kidney cancer.

Fianally I am looking for my blood pressure to go down. When should I start noticing that?

My last question is the benefits of naturally raised meat animals (cows, pigs, etc.) fat versus commercial animals fat. From what I have read here so far that the fat is as good as the food the animal eats. My concern is the stroke I had 15 months ago and preventing another one. Does it really matter that much if I eat commercially raised animal fat, which I can afford, or if I need to stick to the naturally fed animals?

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    If by your belly feeling tighter, you mean less flabby? Yes, normal. Or you might mean less bloated. Also normal.

For blood perssure, that might depend on a few other things like sodium (that might be a point of contention on this board). I'm glad to hear your blood glucose is going down. It should continue to improve as you continue to eat a primal diet.

It is critical, especially given your apparent health problems, that you eat naturally fed animals. I'm sorry. I know it's expensive. Still, there is nothing worth spending money on if not your own health.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    "fully primal with just a few cheats in a day"

a few cheats per day? might want to work on that. strive for a few a week. then a few a month. then cut that stuff out!

Achieve Your Health Goals - Lose Weight, Get Ripped, Stay Motivated | Mark's Daily Apple

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    "fully primal with just a few cheats in a day"

a few cheats per day? might want to work on that. strive for a few a week. then a few a month. then cut that stuff out!

Achieve Your Health Goals - Lose Weight, Get Ripped, Stay Motivated | Mark's Daily Apple
    Yeah, I am already working on these things. It is like bread, first I cut out gluten bread, then non-gluten bread. Encouraged by this community, I am now bread free. Peanuts were cut out the same way. I used to just chuck down a handful at a time. Today I went to get a handful from the pantry and chose a few macadamia nuts instead. Stuff just has to be phased out. I was serial grazer.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Yeah, I am already working on these things. It is like bread, first I cut out gluten bread, then non-gluten bread. Encouraged by this community, I am now bread free. Peanuts were cut out the same way. I used to just chuck down a handful at a time. Today I went to get a handful from the pantry and chose a few macadamia nuts instead. Stuff just has to be phased out. I was serial grazer.
    Ok, whatever works. I was the same more or less in the beginning with the junk food. It seemed impossible not to num down smoked almonds from the can. As to your question, don't bankrupt yourself at Whole Foods buying the best meat. Just do what you can, and seek out a local source for whole or big hunks of animals, and don't be afraid to use the odd bits. I'm putting beef tongue in my next pot of chili.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I have checked out all of the local farms. They are pretty much sold out for the season except for one that has ground beef for $6.00 per pound. I can get at my nearby grocery 90% lean ground beef for half or less than that, so the price jump and drive seem to be a detriment. They are also selling an organic natural meat selection at $12.00 per pound. The closest Whole Foods is over an hour away near Cleveland's east side. It is in one of Cleveland's more exclusive suburbs, so I expect a premium on the premium. I may check out the local health food co-op to see what they have, but I don't have hope for bargains there. The only ray of hope are my eggs, my friend raises them as free range chickens on a healthy feed. They are very affordable, just not pastured yet ( tough to do in snow).

Yeah, you'll want to line up your whole animal purchase in advance. I just bought 1/2 a pasture raised, heritage breed sow, 89 lb hanging weight. Delivered, butchered, packaged, labeled and frozen, to my door by the farmer for $380. In New York City. I got all the cuts from one side of the pig. I'm sure you can do better in Ohio. BTW I just made and ate pulled pork from a shoulder cut, oh god it was delicious.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Yeah, you'll want to line up your whole animal purchase in advance. I just bought 1/2 a pasture raised, heritage breed sow, 89 lb hanging weight. Delivered, butchered, packaged, labeled and frozen, to my door by the farmer for $380. In New York City. I got all the cuts from one side of the pig. I'm sure you can do better in Ohio. BTW I just made and ate pulled pork from a shoulder cut, oh god it was delicious.

Would you mind shooting me a PM (or replying here if you're comfortable with it) with who you got that deal from? My parents live around there, and I would love to hook them up.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Find grass-fed/pastured meat in a small, local shop. Chains are way too expensive.

Or find a farmer who has a website, and order directly. Way cheaper, you can buy in bulk.

Don't mess with your brain! Eat better. It's not ok to have a "few cheats a day".

Grass-fed beef is way more filling, and is high in omega-3. You'll eat less of it, I'm sure.

How much is your health worth to you?

Spring Lake Farm upstate, great people to deal with and delicious product. Not sure if they have much left. They mostly do pork and lamb.