Thread: Recovery from early childhood starvation page

billh is offline Junior Member

Recovery from early childhood starvation

Shop Now
    My daughter is adopting a child from Uganda.

The adoptive child is a 2 year old female however developmentally she is more like a typical 8-9 month old.

What are your thoughts, research, suggestions... regarding the optimal diet for her "recovery"

Can you point us in a direction for further investigation?

Thank you,

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    my first thought is human breast milk for a 6 - 12 months. someone with good gentics if you can find it
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

activia is offline Senior Member
    That sounds good but would be hard to find. I would go with a good primal diet with lots and lots of fruits/vegetables and quality meat. I would even include plenty of good non-pasteurized raw local milk (cow or goat).
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    Go with goat milk over cow milk if you're going to do that. That sounds like a pretty good idea.
    I might go a little heavier on the safe primal carbs, like sweet potatoes and etc. Kids respond pretty well to higher carb diets (since they just have so damn much energy). I think Loren Cordain wrote about that briefly.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Whole foods, lots of healthy saturated fats. I would think carbs are not a concern at all, although avoiding the more troubling grains might not be a bad idea (wheat/gluten, corn...). I would think lots and lots of variety to fill in nutrient gaps, organs if you can do it in some form, and stress the saturated fats (brain development).

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would do some reading on the Weston A Price website and get a copy of nourishing traditions. They have a homemade baby "formula" recipe that sounds pretty revolting to me, but is packed with amazing nutrition. Not sure if a 2 year old could be convinced to drink it our not.

Liver, bone marrow, lots of grass fed butter, grass fed tallow, bone stocks, and homemade soups is the approach I would take. Fish, oysters, and seafood as well. I would probably give butter oil and cod liver oil for a while as well.

Some children who have come from an environment where they were hungry will have some food issues - I'm sure you daughter has done some reading on this - although a toddler may be less of an issue than older children.

Good luck and congrats on the new grandbaby!!

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I would do some reading on the Weston A Price website and get a copy of nourishing traditions. They have a homemade baby "formula" recipe that sounds pretty revolting to me, but is packed with amazing nutrition. Not sure if a 2 year old could be convinced to drink it our not.

Liver, bone marrow, lots of grass fed butter, grass fed tallow, bone stocks, and homemade soups is the approach I would take. Fish, oysters, and seafood as well. I would probably give butter oil and cod liver oil for a while as well.

Some children who have come from an environment where they were hungry will have some food issues - I'm sure you daughter has done some reading on this - although a toddler may be less of an issue than older children.

Good luck and congrats on the new grandbaby!!
    +1

There are breastmilk banks- see if there is one that you can work with.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    That sounds good but would be hard to find.
    You might be surprised. Aside from breast milk banks, many breast feeding moms are surprisingly generous. Once here a mom died in childbirth. The parents had desperately wanted to nurse the baby. So a variety of lactating moms in the area would come to the father's house a few times a day and nurse the baby for him.

If you're interested in finding banks or helpful nursing moms, check out your local la leche group.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook