Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rank the importance of buying organic/pastured/grass fed page

adameads is offline Senior Member

Rank the importance of buying organic/pastured/grass fed

I think the title says it all. Which items are most important (definitely grass fed, that seems to be a priority here) and which can we save the dough on (nuts, bananas)?

Rank them, I guess, in order of importance.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I am glad to have a couple of local farms nearby raising grass fed beef/pastured pork/free range chicken and eggs, and while the price is still higher than conventional meats, it's still usually a savings over the mark-up on those meats at most stores. I make that my priority, and plan my meals around what meat I can afford after our meat expenditures. We try to get mostly organic vegetables and fruit, preferably in season locally, and I use this handy dandy chart that shows the "dirty dozen" high pesticide foods, along with low-pesticide foods. Bananas by virtue are low pesticide--you don't eat the peel. I printed it and laminated it with clear contact paper, it stays in my wallet. The Dirty Dozen Cheat Sheet

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I base it on two things; availability and what do I consume the most. We are fortunate in that we hunt and fish, and have a freezer full of salmon, halibut, cod, moose and caribou. On the other hand local produce is non existent in the winter and spring.

So, I buy
    Organic: lettuce, spinach, apples, berries, eggs, and chicken. And other produce when the store has it, otherwise I take what I can get.
    Natural (no hormone/antibiotic or additives): beef and pork, we dont eat either very often and no grass fed available locally.

activia is offline Senior Member
    I would say first get grass fed beef, this was a huge difference for me. Look for local CSA's or going in on a cow share and storing in the freezer. Alternatively you can go with CAFO beef, trim all the fat and get some grass fed tallow/lard this is usually very inexpensive.

Always put more priority on fruits/veggies that you eat the skin on. ESPECIALLY APPLES! Then the dirty 12, then other fruits/veggies you eat the skin on.

So I would do:
    1st: GOOD quality pasture raised eggs or organic if you can't find
    2nd: trim fat/get grass fed fat to cook with
    3rd: Organic on dirty 12
    4th: grass fed beef/poultry
    5th: Anything you eat skin on Organic
    6th: All organic
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    When I first started eating right, I went for organic + grassfed everything. That was not sustainable for my wallet. I gave up on the organic veggies. I haven't noticed a difference as far as how I feel etc. I'm fully aware of the differences, but the price is almost double for most organic veggies where I shop. Some items, like cauliflower and eggplant are priced so far out of reach its almost offensive.

i.e. Organic Cauli @ $5.99/lb vs. Regular Cauli @ $1.99/lb.

As far as I can tell, the negatives of grain fed lot meat far out ways the negative of nonorganic veggies. (i eat 2+ cups of veggies 2-3 times a day).

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    I think grass fed and wild caught are the two critical expenditures. If I can't get grass fed, I get something lean.
    Beyond that, I don't concern myself too much with the rest. I'm sure I'm eating some hormones in my veggies... but hey, what are you going to do? Apparently I'm getting estrogens in my system by touching the TV remote, so screw it. One day, when I have money (I'm a year out of college and applying to medical school), I will by everything organic and hopefully local. I can't afford that now. Grassfed/wile caught is essential, though.

Pigevil is offline Member
    For home consumption, we only buy organic grassfed meat, milk, and butter, organic pastured eggs and poultry, wild fish, and organic fruits and vegetables.
    When we eat out, we try to consume organic products. If they do not have grassfed meat, we will settle for organic. If they do not have wild fish, we will not consume it.
    We never eat non-organic fruits and veggies that are meant to be eaten with the skin on... Like apples, pears... There is way too much pesticides, chemicals, and poisons.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say anywhere you are talking about animal fat is the most important.

Fish, beef/pork, eggs, probably at the top. Chicken meat less so since you can grab lean cuts, but if you prefer the fattier cuts, that might be worth it, too.

Any produce which pesticides are directly in contact with what you eat is probably another good place to start, but we are focusing on the animal fats first.

Even Mark acquiesced to the idea (in PB) that if you can't afford all (or even any...these ARE tough times) organic/grass-fed/farmer hugged stuff, but focus on eating REAL, whole foods while avoiding grains, excess sugars, nasty franken-fats and so forth you will STILL be doing a world of good better for yourself than even a person that's trying to "eat healthy" while following the SAD/CW of stuffing yourself full of Kashi cereal, soy bars, toast with some kind of laboratory spread, and other packaged crap with a "heart healthy" label.

Don't let perfection be the enemy of good!

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    I would say first get grass fed beef, this was a huge difference for me. Look for local CSA's or going in on a cow share and storing in the freezer. Alternatively you can go with CAFO beef, trim all the fat and get some grass fed tallow/lard this is usually very inexpensive.

Always put more priority on fruits/veggies that you eat the skin on. ESPECIALLY APPLES! Then the dirty 12, then other fruits/veggies you eat the skin on.

So I would do:
    1st: GOOD quality pasture raised eggs or organic if you can't find
    2nd: trim fat/get grass fed fat to cook with
    3rd: Organic on dirty 12
    4th: grass fed beef/poultry
    5th: Anything you eat skin on Organic
    6th: All organic
    I understand the nutritional superiority of pastured/grass-fed meats. But when you say grass-fed made a huge difference for you, what do you mean? In how you feel? For weight loss? Complexion?

I'm just curious, because I buy it inconsistenly and haven't been able to actually see/feel a difference.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Credodisi View Post
    I understand the nutritional superiority of pastured/grass-fed meats. But when you say grass-fed made a huge difference for you, what do you mean? In how you feel? For weight loss? Complexion?

I'm just curious, because I buy it inconsistenly and haven't been able to actually see/feel a difference.
    How I felt. I actually felt better all over, and had more energy! I noticed a difference pretty quick, but I went hardcore and got a CSA and ate 100% grassfed. Now when I eat regular CAFO beef (which is exclusively at restaurants or when visiting relatives) I feel like crap, like I ate garbage. I dont notice the difference as much with chicken breast probably because its so lean, so I usually stick to chicken breast now when I go out. The only thing I can compare it to..is how you felt when you ate Mcdonalds (I used to eat the chicken nuggets) on a SAD diet or like eating a bag of potato chips on an empty stomach.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast