Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sun...? page

cori93437 is offline Senior Member

Sun...?

Shop Now
    I have to take a medication that causes increased sensitivity to sunlight on top of the fact that I'm already a fair skinned, blonde, blue eyed girl who burns VERY easily (and never tans enough to avoid burning through it badly), living in SUNNY FL .
    Also this is not one of your usual sensitivity inducing meds that is only taken for a few weeks, and I'll likely be on a maintenance dose long term as I need it to regulate intracranial pressure.

My question is... being an already fair skinned girl, and with this added sun sensitivity... how much sun is enough?

Previously I didn't use much sunscreen and preferred to cover with clothing after a short time exposed while fishing etc. (Yeah, I'm one of those freaks who has to fish covered head to toe, literally every inch! LOL
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    you "tan" because you have correct Vitamin D levels NOT due to sun exposure per se.

get your Vitamin D levels tested. enough should protect you
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    you "tan" because you have correct Vitamin D levels NOT due to sun exposure per se.

get your Vitamin D levels tested. enough should protect you
    Lolwut? Are you telling me that I will tan in winter while wearing a coat if I take enough vitamin D? I don't think so, man. I am as pasty under my shirt as I always have been despite taking 4000-8000IU of D a day for months. Yet somehow, mysteriously, my arms, face, and neck are much tanner than my torso.

I guess my serum vitamin D levels are somehow higher in certain parts of my body than others, mysteriously.

I think what you may mean is that you will get a deeper tan if you are vitamin D replete, on those areas of your skin that you expose to sunlight, because your body doesn't need to keep your skin pale in order to maintain serum levels, and can therefore afford to darken the skin to protect better from UV. The sun exposure is still a necessary component, otherwise no one would have tan lines.

It's also irresponsible of you to recommend that she not worry about sun sensitivity when taking a medication that obviously interferes with her natural defenses. When someone is on pharmaceutical meds that mess with things, you can't just assume that the body's natural regulatory mechanisms will function properly as they would in the absence of the medication. While it may be true that ensuring adequate vitamin D status may normally be enough to ensure protection from skin damage, you can't assume that's still true in every case involving pharmaceutical side effects.

My dad had to take antibiotics for a while that caused sun sensitivity, and he got sunburned under his fingernails. I don't think more vitamin D would have saved him.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 01-20-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

I supplement D3, have for several years so I really doubt it's low... (5k iu/day). I started this because I heard it would help keep me from burning/would encourage tanning. I still burn.
    However I'm a very pale person. I was white skinned/haired until I hit puberty... now it's gold. My skin has always been very pale and I have never had more than the "golden glow" type of tan despite my best efforts at times. All people do not have the ability to produce melanin in the same amounts. Even with a "tan" I've actively worked to achieve over several months in the past I would burn badly while everyone else I knew was fine.

Now that I have to be on a medication that will make me even more sensitive and likely to burn is a bit of an issue IMO.

BTW... isn't the POINT of "sun exposure" that we are supposed to be getting our D from the sun???
    Last edited by cori93437; 01-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

brachiate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    My question is... being an already fair skinned girl, and with this added sun sensitivity... how much sun is enough?
    Enough for vitamin D you mean, or other things (circadian rhythms?)? No one here can answer that I shouldn't think, so do what you have to do and try to not stress about it. Do actually check your vitamin D levels though especially as you're supplementing long term. Agree with uncephalized on what he said.
    The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.
    (Lily Tomlin)

I take life easier than almost anyone I know, but when I exercise I do it as though my life depends on it (which it does).
    (Arthur De Vany)

I had a "slightly low" D on a full blood panel... GP who believes in checking the fine print as it were because I have a medical condition that predisposes me to have bone loss....
    That low was pretty expected since I avoid the sun a lot due to burning. Doc said 5k iu daily was OK and I hoped to "tan" better due to taking it since I had read about that. No dice... no tan. I get those full blood panels yearly. Not ever low since supplementing... but would prefer to get it naturally rather than with a pill you know.

I guess I'll just try the 5 min to start route and see how it goes... work up a little from there and find a tolerance level.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    I've been reading up on this because I'm in the same situation. I've found a bunch of studies that seem to show that carotenoids help reduce burning, but it takes up to 12 weeks for it to start working. Apparently, 1 cup of carrot juice or tomato juice a day was enough to reduce erythema up to 50%.

Personally, not burning means a lot more to me than turning a little yellow or orange from lots of vegetables. Important though, synthetic supplements didn't work, so it implies synergistic effects between numerous compounds. Phytoene and phytofluene (colorless carotenoid precursors) probably play a large role as their absorption peaks in the UV-B and UV-A part of the spectrum, respectively. These are found in most vegetables.

Nutrition and Skin: Lessons for Anti-Aging, Beauty and Healthy Skin - Apostolos Pappas - Google Books

Quote Originally Posted by DubleYoo View Post
    I've been reading up on this because I'm in the same situation. I've found a bunch of studies that seem to show that carotenoids help reduce burning, but it takes up to 12 weeks for it to start working. Apparently, 1 cup of carrot juice or tomato juice a day was enough to reduce erythema up to 50%.

Personally, not burning means a lot more to me than turning a little yellow or orange from lots of vegetables. Important though, synthetic supplements didn't work, so it implies synergistic effects between numerous compounds. Phytoene and phytofluene (colorless carotenoid precursors) probably play a large role as their absorption peaks in the UV-B and UV-A part of the spectrum, respectively. These are found in most vegetables.

Nutrition and Skin: Lessons for Anti-Aging, Beauty and Healthy Skin - Apostolos Pappas - Google Books
    Thank you!
    This type thing is what I was looking for... I'll be making a concerted effort to nosh on more carotene rich veg DAILY.
    Much better than "take a supplement".
    I'd honestly like to get out in the sun more and quit the D3 I already take.
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche

DubleYoo is offline Senior Member
    The mechanism isn't completely understood, but it's assumed that absorption plays a large role. There are hundreds of carotenoids that absorb light across the entire spectrum. They're all fat soluble. It's pretty amazing, and to me it seems like evidence that high-fat, high-vegetable diets are so important. I mean, here are just a few:

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Lolwut? Are you telling me that I will tan in winter while wearing a coat if I take enough vitamin D? I don't think so, man. I am as pasty under my shirt as I always have been despite taking 4000-8000IU of D a day for months. Yet somehow, mysteriously, my arms, face, and neck are much tanner than my torso.

I guess my serum vitamin D levels are somehow higher in certain parts of my body than others, mysteriously.

I think what you may mean is that you will get a deeper tan if you are vitamin D replete, on those areas of your skin that you expose to sunlight, because your body doesn't need to keep your skin pale in order to maintain serum levels, and can therefore afford to darken the skin to protect better from UV. The sun exposure is still a necessary component, otherwise no one would have tan lines.

It's also irresponsible of you to recommend that she not worry about sun sensitivity when taking a medication that obviously interferes with her natural defenses. When someone is on pharmaceutical meds that mess with things, you can't just assume that the body's natural regulatory mechanisms will function properly as they would in the absence of the medication. While it may be true that ensuring adequate vitamin D status may normally be enough to ensure protection from skin damage, you can't assume that's still true in every case involving pharmaceutical side effects.

My dad had to take antibiotics for a while that caused sun sensitivity, and he got sunburned under his fingernails. I don't think more vitamin D would have saved him.
    All i know is that I did tan in the winter once my serum levels got above 110. Also I am not Caucasian so maybe there is a difference in the melanin receptors which are influenced by vitamin D

"The sun exposure is still a necessary component, otherwise no one would have tan lines." After reading on the vitamin D: Melanin connection i am not certain of that, not opposed to the sun increasing your shade, just no longer convinced that it is the cause.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast