Thread: Any other preppers here? page

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member

Any other preppers here?

And if so, how do you handle foods that typically store well (i.e. grains) with a primal diet?

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what to do about it.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

LJH
    LJH is offline Senior Member
    I store a little rice and even less wheat. I don't eat either but the other half does and so do my neighbors. I dehydrate, can and freeze most of my food preps and expanding my garden and building a greenhouse/chicken coop are on the front burner for this year.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Does "prepper" mean like emergency preparedness?

Because screw grains, make some big-ass batches of pemmican and hang them in rawhide bags somewhere cool and dark. That stuff is the most energy- and nutrient-dense food you can get, and it's one of the ONLY foods you can eat indefinitely with nothing else but water and not develop nutritional deficiencies. You can even spice it or add dehydrated berries and such for flavor and even more nutrition. It's also naturally resistant to water and rot (being near-zero in water content and fully permeated with rendered, saturated fat), and has a shelf life of several decades if not longer. It's the ultimate survival food.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Grafter is offline Senior Member
    Lots of rice and beans. Since it seems like there are very few foods that are "primal" and that can be stored for multiple years and still be consumable.

Though, honestly, if it was a TSHTF EOTW scenario, I'm okay with eating whatever even if it isn't "primal". Mostly, because I like being alive and faced with the choice of a bunch of grains or starving to death, I'm going to jump on the grains.

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I have some wheat bucketed from my before-primal days, but have been thinking about switching to more rice simply because it's a more innocuous grain. Also, I will eat rice. Also, it doesn't need ground. lol

I have a small flock of chickens - want to expand it - so hopefully that'll keep me in fresh meat/eggs for a while. I garden, too, but don't can. Too labor intensive for me. Have considered learning how to dehydrate, though.

Still, as far as bang for buck and shelf life, it's hard to beat grains. Bummer. Fortunately, rice is cheap. I can get 25 lbs for $10. If I just spend $100, I can do 10 buckets of rice, it'll have a shelf life of 20+ years, and I don't have to eat it unless I NEED it.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

Ingvildr is offline Senior Member
    I grew up in a rural area and had a mother who was the oldest of six. We grew gardens, canned and otherwised preserved all through my growing up years. I have continued to do so as an adult. I can fruit, freeze vegies(I don't want to have to worry about botulism so I don't normally can veggies), dehydrate both fruits and veggies and make jerky. I've also been known to make kraut and a bit of homebrew. When you have an entire tree worth of fruit, you have to do something so it doesn't go to waste. I do regular and winter gardens(I like my fresh greens and roots in the winter). I'm looking into making my own cheeses. It's not so much about emergency preparedness so much as I can control my food from the seed up and make it how I want it. It is also about spending less on groceries. I also make my own blends of dehydrated food for camping. We had ducks and ate duck eggs as a kid and I've got relatives who raise chickens and I get eggs when they are laying heavy. Dehydrating is pretty simple with a good dehydrater. I good dehydrater has adjustable temperature and adjustable fan. Fruits you slice about 1/4" thick and put in for about eight hours. Jerky is sliced 1/4" thick across the grain and marinated with your flavor of choice(just be really careful with the salt, it doesn't evaporate and can get really overpowering) and dried around eight to twelve hours. Veggies need a 1 minute dunk in boiling water to disable the enzymes and then can be dried like any fruit. Waxy berries like cranberries and blueberries also need a dunk in boiling water to get rid of the wax and open up the berry or it will take days to dry.

Most dried food keeps nicely for 1-2 years although jerky is better kept in the freezer because the fat can get rancid. Expect canned food to last at least two year and I've had it last longer. Frozen food is best for about 6 months to a year-packaging is important. Normally speaking most preservation methods keep food long enough to get the next harvest in, what more can you ask of it? I don't imagine something that is twenty years old would have much nutrition or flavor left. Beans take forever to cook if they are kept more than a year, so while they are still edible after many years, they cook up crunchy.

Duck is offline Junior Member
    I don't think it's much of a stretch for anyone to say in a life or death situation that survival is more important than sticking to paleo. I put up vegetables and always have a lot of meat in the freezer that I could smoke or dry to make it last. However, having some emergency grains around is a good idea. Freeze dried food is also a good option. If it comes down to it, I'm not going to turn my nose up at rice just because it will increase my carb count for the day. I doubt that getting fat will be much of a concern in that scenario.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm a prepper and I don't store grains or legumes. Like others have mentioned, lots of pemmican, canned meats, vegetables, dehydrated stuff, frozen meats, and so on. Basically just primal food stored in a variety of ways.

Really, a one month supply of food will get you through 95% of problems. People about a year supply, and that's great, but at that point you better have a garden and livestock. Which I do.

As always, it's a work in progress. A little more each day.

While I wouldn't store rice or wheat for myself to eat, I would consider keeping them for barter items. In a shtf scenario, the last thing I want is be constipated and lethargic with immune reactions to grains.
    http://www.theprimalprepper.com - preparing for life's worst while living for the best