Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When squatting instead of sitting on a chair page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

When squatting instead of sitting on a chair

Primal Fuel
    How deep do you squat?
    Do you squat till your butt touches your calves? (as low as it can get). If so, isn't it problematic for the back? since more often than not, your butt goes in (butt wink rip' calls it) and the posture turns bad, usually because of a flexibility problem.

So, do you squat the way mentioned above, although the butt wink?
    Or do you squat as far as you can without getting one?
    Or.. do you squat the dreaded half squat when you sit? (knees at or above 90 degrees).

dado Guest
    as deep as possible. this is not problematic.

you see all the guys in the videos, when they rest on the side of the road, they are in deep squats.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I'm assuming low bar squats, you squat to where the femur is parallel to the feet. Work on your hip flexibility. It could be your stance is little too narrow. Also remember that in a low bar squat your back isn't upright its at a 45 degree angle, bar tracking up down middle of foot. Half squats are pointless and kill your knees. Work on your flexibility then start adding weight. Head down, feet out, back straight, bar tracking vertically over middle of foot (which equates to a 45 degree back angle), drive the hips up out of the hole!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I'm assuming low bar squats, you squat to where the femur is parallel to the feet. Work on your hip flexibility. It could be your stance is little too narrow. Also remember that in a low bar squat your back isn't upright its at a 45 degree angle, bar tracking up down middle of foot. Half squats are pointless and kill your knees. Work on your flexibility then start adding weight. Head down, feet out, back straight, bar tracking vertically over middle of foot (which equates to a 45 degree back angle), drive the hips up out of the hole!!!
    Aye sire, but that's not the point. I was asking about squats for sitting (instead of sitting on a chair), not the weighted ones.

I see dado. But the question is how deep? even a low bar squat rip's way isn't all that deep. it ain't ass to grass.
    That's why I'm asking.

And If I'm squatting that low, how can I get to my desk?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I could be wrong, but I think if you don't have a load on your back, butt wink is O.K. I can't imagine holding a squat for a long of time without touching my thighs to my calves. I think Mark or someont in a post linked to a youtube video of the "Asian Squat" that demonstrated it in action.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    Aye sire, but that's not the point. I was asking about squats for sitting (instead of sitting on a chair), not the weighted ones.

I see dado. But the question is how deep? even a low bar squat rip's way isn't all that deep. it ain't ass to grass.
    That's why I'm asking.

And If I'm squatting that low, how can I get to my desk?
    Whoops my bad. Kind of spaced on that one. When your balls touch the ground you can stop. Or, you can use a chair.

dado Guest
    Whoops my bad. Kind of spaced on that one. When your balls touch the ground you can stop. Or, you can use a chair.
    the balls should go through the ground

Aye, but one does not simply sit on a chair for a very long time. Occasional squatting would be needed. And that's why I'm asking.
    So, my butt needs to be just a paper width above the ground, is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    the balls should go through the ground
    Aye, it'll seem so.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    http://patcoston.com/images/places/a...20the%20US.jpg

Just google asian squat, and you'll get tons of images. Look for the folks with flat shoes, not the chicks in high heels.

How you'll reach your desk in a true asian squat is another question. Maybe pull up a sturdy crate?
    Last edited by dragonmamma; 01-21-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The Asian squat is not the same as a weighted squat, so the "butt wink" thing is not as much of an issue--you're supporting the torso alone and staying in the bottom of the squat, so the back injury risk isn't the same. Most North Americans have a hard time even hanging out as low down as the traditional Asian squat for more than about 30-60 seconds at a time because we're so out of the habit of sitting that way. You want to rest the backs of the thighs on the back of the calves and get your butt right to the bottom so that the legs can actually relax--I find the tension can then come out of my quads and I just sort of fold up and rest on myself. If my legs are sore from working out, I love "sitting" in the squat position because it's a nice relaxed stretch. People find it weird when you drop into the squat while you're chatting with them though!
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast