Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with wine's page

activia is offline Senior Member

Cooking with wine's

OK all so I know dry red wine is OK occasionally as it has antioxidants in it. What about cooking with white wine? Right now I just stick to dry red wine for one recipe a month...but was wondering what issues there are with cooking with white wine, so I could add some new recipes.. Doesn't cooking it make all the alcohol evaporate? Isn't it just like adding grapes to your diet, or is there something else?
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The alcohol does get burned off. Also, you put maybe one glass of wine worth in a recipe which gets spread out over 4 servings so it's not really very much wine. It's like adding lemon juice to make a sauce.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The alcohol does get burned off. Also, you put maybe one glass of wine worth in a recipe which gets spread out over 4 servings so it's not really very much wine. It's like adding lemon juice to make a sauce.
    Fallacy, you never "burn" it all off.
    Read. The. Book.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The alcohol does tend to boil off quite quickly as it has a lower boiling point than water. Still, it's best to simmer for a few minutes to reduce down the wine before adding any stock.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Fallacy, you never "burn" it all off.
    This is correct.

A study conducted by the US Department of Agriculture’s Nutrient Data Laboratory calculated the percentage of alcohol remaining in a dish based on various cooking methods. The results are as follows:

Preparation Method and Percent of Alcohol Retained

alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
    alcohol flamed 75%
    no heat, stored overnight 70%
    baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
    baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
    15 minutes 40%
    30 minutes 35%
    1 hour 25%
    1.5 hours 20%
    2 hours 10%
    2.5 hours 5%

source: Does alcohol burn off in cooking?

It is one of those falicies that concerns me because my wife is allergic to alcohol.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    My dad always said the wine cooks off. But I guess some of the sugar/carbs might not. Big whoop.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    My dad always said the wine cooks off. But I guess some of the sugar/carbs might not. Big whoop.
    It might not be a big whoop to you, but the alcohol does not always/ever cook off completly. That is a big whoop if someone is allergic, an alcoholic or avoids alcohol for personal or religious reasons. I was always told it burns off as well, but when I married my alcohol allergic wife I had to look more closely at the subject.

it DOES NOT all burn off

also, never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink on it's own. crappy wine will ruin a dish. and stay away from "cooking wines" at the grocery store unless you absolutely have no other choice (medical reason, etc). those things are nasty

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    it DOES NOT all burn off

also, never cook with any wine that you wouldn't drink on it's own. crappy wine will ruin a dish. and stay away from "cooking wines" at the grocery store unless you absolutely have no other choice (medical reason, etc). those things are nasty
    I always buy drinking quality wine to cook with. I also reduce it for about 45 mins then use it in a recipe that goes in the crockpot for another 6 hours. So I am guessing not much retained at this point?

So is that it then? Just a little alcohol and grapes? I guess the other way I would cook with it would be if I baked with it. I used to love white wine sauces...it would be nice to have that once in awhile.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I LOVE red wine in all of my red meat dishes...my uncle (who owns a restaurant in Bavaria) is a Cook/Chef and red or white wines are his secret to many of his very delicious sauces Buy organic/sulfite free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast