Thread: ketosis results? page

mavery is offline Junior Member

ketosis results?

Good morning everyone.

I have a question about when to see results while on a ketogenic diet.

First a little background. On July 24, 2011, I weighed in at 300 lbs. I am 6'2", with a lean body weight of roughly 185, according to hydrostatic testing. almost 40% body fat!!!! I've always loved food, any food, and have had maybe a less than healthy relationship with it. I started out by counting calories to stay in a caloric deficit, keeping my intake below 1800 cals/day. To help curb cravings, and, in my mind, "trick" my metabolism into not getting used to reduced calories, I kept weekends as "off" days. I tried not to go over my recommended daily needs on my off days (2600-2800 cals/day), but if you look at my weigh-in chart it looks like a view of a mountain range. Fridays would usually be a low weight day, and by Monday I would have put on 8-10 pounds of water weight from all the carbs and sodium (I LOVE homemade pizza and pasta), but by the next Friday I would be back down usually a couple of pounds lighter than the Friday before. Keep in mind that all this was done with little to no exercise. I followed this regimen until a couple of months ago when I found out about the Paleo lifestyle, and Mark's Daily Apple. My wife and I both loved the idea of reverting to food choices made by our ancestors, and shunning the SAD. I've always been a person who cooks everything from scratch from mostly whole foods (even condiments), gardens organically, cans my own food, etc. , so making the switch was not that much of a stretch from our current diet. My current weight is 231, and roughly 18%-22% body fat, by my calculation. I haven't done another hydro test lately.

Now to my question, almost. A couple of weeks ago I was on the phone with my sister, a very progressive dietician, talking about the paleo lifestyle, and she recommended that i read "Why We Get Fat". I picked it up on the way to the airport for a business trip, and by the time I got home a few days later, I had read it cover to cover. I was very intrigued by the notion of using stored body fat for fuel, and have decided to give it a try. My ultimate goal is to have a flat stomach, which is where it seems that is the only place on my body that has an abundance of it. maybe not an abundance, but you get my point. I figure another 15-20 pounds lost should do the trick.

Now to my question, finally. I've been very strict on the keto diet recommended in Gary Taubes book for 8 days now. My body is in ketosis, according to the ketostix, but my weight has been stagnant since I started. Is it too soon to see any results? The only reason I ask is that I get discouraged fairly easily, and I am so used to seeing that constant drop on the scale. I don't want to give up on this before it has had the time to work.

BTW, the part about little to no exercise is not entirely true. I do walk roughly 2-3 miles a day (measured on a pedometer) at work, love to trail run, ride my mountain bike, and in colder weather, when i have time, do 6 miles on the treadmill. I say when i have time because i have three very young kids who get my priority over exercise, right or wrong. and I am in the process of setting up all my old weightlifting equipment in the garage so I can get back into resistance training.

Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can provide.

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Belly fat on a male = hormones out of balance. if you can and if you care get the tests below, you may also want to test T4,T3,rT3 and the antibodies and TPO but start with the hormones. You want to be in the to 80% for Testosterone and DHEA and Pregnenolone. you want to be under 25 for estradiol.

ketosis is an intersting monster. it take 3 - 5 weeks to switch over to fat burning. in the interim the body is trying to figure out what the hell you think you are doing. if you have not added MCT or coconut butter/oil now is the time to do so. I put it in my daily eggnog. MCT cannot be stored as fat it must be burned as fuel

8 days you are not yet midway. until the body switches over it wont drop weight. once it trust that you have moved to fats you will reduce.

make sense?

Cortisol CPT Code: 82533
    Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) Sulfate CPT Code: 82627
    Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) CPT Code: 82651
    Estradiol CPT Code: 82670
    Estrogens, Total CPT Code: 82672
    Follicle-stimulating Hormone (FSH), Serum CPT Code: 83001
    Growth Hormone-binding Protein CPT Code: 83519
    Insulin-like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) CPT Code: 84305
    Luteinizing Hormone (LH), Serum CPT Code: 83002
    Pregnenolone, Mass Spectrometry CPT Code: 84140
    Progesterone CPT Code: 84144
    Prostate-specific Antigen (PSA), Serum CPT Code: 84153
    Sex Hormone-binding Globulin, Serum CPT Code: 84270
    Testosterone, Free (Direct), Serum With Total Testosterone CPT Code: 84402; 84403
    Prolactin CPT Code: 84146
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Thank you, Quelson.

it does make sense. I will look into getting the testing done.

I do use coconut oil for cooking, even when i weighed 300 lbs., and I have, on a daily basis for years, used olive oil (MCT's) to dress salads, veggies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mavery View Post
    Thank you, Quelson.

it does make sense. I will look into getting the testing done.

I do use coconut oil for cooking, even when i weighed 300 lbs., and I have, on a daily basis for years, used olive oil (MCT's) to dress salads, veggies, etc.
    Olive oil does not contain MCT's just LCT's

The major fatty acids in olive oil triacylglycerols are:

Oleic Acid (C18:1), a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid. It makes up 55 to 83% of olive oil.
    Linoleic Acid (C18:2), a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid that makes up about 3.5 to 21% of olive oil.
    Palmitic Acid (C16:0), a saturated fatty acid that makes up 7.5 to 20% of olive oil.
    Stearic Acid (C18:0), a saturated fatty acid that makes up 0.5 to 5% of olive oil.
    Linolenic Acid (C18:3)(specifically alpha-Linolenic Acid), a polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acid that makes up 0 to 1.5% of olive oil.

no capryc or lauric acid in Olive oil

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506

My bad.

My reply was based on a quick google seach for MCT sources that led me to an article on livestrong.com that talked about coconut oil and olive oil. guess that goes to show you should always be a little skeptical of things you read on the internet. search and search again.

thanks for setting me straight.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    np glad i can help

Predator not Prey

CW 315 | SW 506