Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share things you've learned! page

Cool Share things you've learned!

Shop Now
    I'll start, I know alot of this is in the books by Mark and Robb, but I usually learn the hard way.

5'8", starting weight at this journey 2.5 years ago was 262lbs.

I've been stuck at a Paleo/Primal plateau of ~185-187lbs for almost six months even while maintaining probably better than the 80/20 rule as far as adherence. Top that off with Crossfit since July, I'd been expecting better results.

I recently returned from a 20 day work trip to Europe on December 22nd and came back about 5 pounds heavier (192lbs) and completely rested from exercise. Upon returning (and clearing my head a bit) my motivation was renewed. Coupled with revising my goals for exercise I came to learn a few things, but one VERY important thing has stood out since then.

I do not need to eat nearly as much food as I have been!

Since that time, I have dropped to 174 pounds fairly effortlessly with some intermittent fasting, and being a bit honest about the quantity. So given some time to think I've come to a checklist that is very quickly leading me to some serious success and I hope this will help one of you.

1 ) Paleo / Primal nutrition is really a framework for getting bad "conventional wisdom", bad neolithic agents of disease (gluten, lectin, bad forms of sugar) out of the diet and more importantly out of the way.

2 ) You need to be honest with yourself about how much food you need to eat. The Paleo framework will put you in a position to be both metabolically and systemically tolerant of overeating, but only to a point. You must be honest about the quantity of food you're consuming if your goal is to lose weight.

3 ) Building muscle is hard, and takes a lot of effort, and is a lot freaking harder when you're not providing the body the right fuel for the job. Until you're at a weight where you can do things safely, move often at a slow pace and GET OUTSIDE like Mark says.

4 ) Working out with poor form is a recipe for disaster that effort or "pushing through it" will only magnify and leave you in a world of prolonged hurt. In the end it may even blind you to WHY you are doing what you're doing.

These things are helping me not only push through my plateau, but I'm jumping off the damn cliff. I hope this helps some of you keep perspective on your journey. Not everybody pulls this stuff off in 3 months, 6 months, or a year even.

Fabbecky is offline Senior Member
    I have learned that if I eat early and add a lot of fat and protein I do not need to eat dinner or an after dinner snack. Or if I eat a big high protein breakfast I do not need lunch (I almost forgot to feed my kiddo lunch because I was not hungry and had not realized the time!)

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I have learned that home cooking becomes a lot less time intensive once you get practiced at it, and recipes become a lot more fun once you start to develop an instinct and play with adjustments and alterations yourself
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Nice thread SpacemanSpiff!

I've learned that variety in the diet helps give the body a break from being overloaded with the same nutrients all the time. A little duck, some lamb bones, some beef ribs, some grass-fed ground beef, liver, kidney, turkey tails, different kinds of fish...mixing it up is nice. Duck eggs are a cool diversion from the old chicken egg, too.

EXPLORE your local grocery stores. Walk into that weird market on the corner that you've avoided for years because of the funny writing in the windows. They probably speak english just fine and can answer your questions about how to eat a dragon fruit.

Don't think you need to eat the same macros every day. If you aren't craving meat, then don't eat it! Not in the mood for a bucket of broccoli? Skip it today. Just look back at the entire week and you should see balance.

Your body does not need fruit or nuts! Fat, greens and meat/organs are all we need. The rest is just for fun.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

egrande25 is offline Junior Member
    I have learned that you can't beat yourself up when you deviate from the Primal framework once in a while.

I have learned that vegetables are not the enemy, they are your friend.

I have learned that Primal/paleo folks can get extremely soapbox-y. The subject is just conducive to it.

And, I have learned that deluxe unsalted mixed nuts and homemade Larabars are my snack saviors.

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Spacemanspiff

"I do not need to eat nearly as much food as I have been!"

I need to have this pasted on my brain. I have in the past looked at my food diary, seen I have spare cals to use then looked around for something to eat to use those cals (I know, but I've been counting cals for about 5 years and I am trying to break the habit). Instead I should ask myself "Are you hungry?". If the answer is no then I do not need to use those spare cals. Eat to satiety, stop. Repeat when hungry. These are words I need to remember.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    Animal fat will keep you full and destroy cravings for over half the day.

Kelly Barr is offline Member
    Ihave learned that while you are out and about, that u can find Primal foods to eat. At the mall food court, we found chicken on a stick at a chinese place. Eat at Mexican restaurants and u can order just meat and veggies... its not hard to do.

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Barr View Post
    Ihave learned that while you are out and about, that u can find Primal foods to eat. At the mall food court, we found chicken on a stick at a chinese place. Eat at Mexican restaurants and u can order just meat and veggies... its not hard to do.
    But isn't most of this stuff cooked in terrible oils?
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've learned that it's ok if your food doesn't "match." If it sounds good, eat it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast