Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Share things you've learned! page 2

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Mid September I did a "Year in Review" to see what I'd learned.
    I won't copy it here, but it starts on post #1947 in my journal.

A couple of things:

Thinking: “I could have one if I wanted to, but I don’t want one right now.” For me, that is easier to "deal" with than "I can't have that" (If I can have it, I have no urgent need for it…)

Mouth Hunger: "I'm NOT hungry for eggs, I'm hungry for coconut hearts!" (winencandy stamps her foot for emphasis!) /TANTRUM "I guess that means I'm NOT REALLY hungry! Right?"

A ham ‘pizza’ - a fried slice of ham topped with pizza sauce, cheese, pineapple, onions and mushrooms, then broiled.

Switched from large wine goblet (10oz) to small wine glass (5oz)

NorCal Margarita

Re Whole 30: "While Whole 30 is a nice challenge to see how eliminating certain foods makes you feel, I think, if one isn't careful, it could turn obsessive. We are no longer 'dieting'. This is a new way of eating. A new way of life. One that you are not supposed to obsess over every morsel that goes in your mouth. I think you did the best you could, BUT more importantly, you didn't let your 'diet' affect your life." winencandy

Mistakes:
    Coconut oil as a hair conditioner - Don't do it!!
    Baking Soda and rinsing with ACV = straw hair
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

mixie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    Mistakes:
    Coconut oil as a hair conditioner - Don't do it!!
    Baking Soda and rinsing with ACV = straw hair
    Speak for yourself ;0). I've got thick Mexican/Italian, mid-thigh length hair and I'm a BS/ACV wash + Coconut oil girl all the way ;0)

Something I've learned: any time I think I want bread, really all I'm wanting is the butter.
    “Falconry is not a hobby or an amusement; it is a rage. You eat and drink it, sleep it and think it. You tremble to write of it, even in recollection. It is as King James the First remarked, an extreme stirrer up of passions.” --T.H. White, The Godstone and the Blackymor

"The world must be all fucked up when men travel first class and literature goes as freight."
    - Gabriel Garcia Marquez, One Hundred Years of Solitude

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Among many, many other things, I think the cardinal thing I learned is that the more I tighten down on something, the more likely I am to obsess over perfecting it. Whole30 was a great example of how NOT to do things for me, as I started down the path of an eating disorder doing that. It was too much constriction and, in my mind, too much permission to try and make it absolutely perfect and freak out if it wasn't absolutely perfect. If I'm not careful to give myself limits working out, I will push myself way too hard, way too fast, to make myself "perfect" and injure myself in the process.
    Along the same vein, I learned the ability to relax and not worry over every little thing. Still trying to expand that out of food and exercise, but I'm getting there
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I've re-learned that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to. When our bodies fail and doctors give you the wrong info and don't care to find the real problem, you forget this fact.

That and most drugs don't solve anything, they cover up symptoms and allow you to get sicker. Instead of "take a pill", try "what is my body trying to tell me".

MrsToon is offline Senior Member
    I've learned that I can easily wait until dinnertime for my first meal of the day, if I have coffee with cream to start my day. I have learned the difference between actual hunger and a sugar crash/withdrawl. I've learned that melted butter is the world's best sauce for just about everything. Perhaps the best thing is that I know I'm never going to get fat/diabetic/high blood pressure.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I've learned that:

My body saying "EAT SUGAR!" is actually just it being confused and thinking sugar is another name for bacon and butter.

Mashed turnips =/= mashed potatoes

2% milk makes me want to vomit

Frying bacon half asleep in my boxers is never a good idea

No matter how well you explain your reasons for going primal some people will still look at you like you're a nutter

And of course,everything is better with bacon....EVERYTHING!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I guess the big one for me is that saturated animal fat is the key to happiness. It
    - destroyed my insatiable hunger
    - stopped the pain in my feet
    - made me into a happy, friendly person
    - caused me to lose weight and feel healthy
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Uppy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    - stopped the pain in my feet
    Echo the above.

Things I've learned:
    1) How awesome sardines are
    2) How awesome it is to have lots of energy so often
    3) It's OK to miss a meal
    4) Visit your local butcher
    5) In terms of exercise, use the big muscle groups and the auxiliary ones tend to take care of themselves
    6) Olympic lifts

And one regret: I wish I had discovered the PB in college!!!

afroette is offline Member
    I can overcome my sugar addiction. It is also possible to replace a sugar addiction with a coconut manna addiction.

My body prefers juicy meat, bacon, and olives over sugary treats.

Eggs aren't so very bad. They still aren't good though.

Lower fat chicken sausage is nasty.

I can have self-control.

Cooking all my meals isn't all that time consuming--just massive dirty dish producing.

I need to find new spice mixes.
    5'9", 31 yr old female
    SW 364 - Started Primal about 12/5/11
    CW 293
    2nd GW 270

YAY! Vit. D deficiency gone and HDL finally over 40! 1/20/12

If I want something sweet, i'll try to go for a banana or other piece of fruit instead of some processed Protein bar.

Good pastured butter is so much better than cheap butter.

To eat greens or salad at every meal if possible.

To not be affraid of going a fair amount of time without eating. I regret believing in the 6-8 meals before I started eating this way. It made me not eat enough to be fully saited which led to obsessing over food.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast