Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Medication, to take it or not to take it? page

bleujinnii is offline Junior Member

Medication, to take it or not to take it?

Primal Fuel
    So I was diagnosed as bipolar when I was about 12, about 13 years ago. I've been on and off medication with varying results but none of them what I'd call ideal. My question is should I take the medication they will probably want to prescribe me? I have been off medication for nearly two years now. I don't want to be back on medication. I am usually prescribed some very serious/strong anti-psychotics. The side effects are usually horrendous. My brother, who was diagnosed with ADHD, was able to "treat" or managed his ADHD through diet alone because he hated being on his medication. I supposed my question is probably more along the lines of; Can I expect my diet change with the Primal diet to help me manage or treat my disease? If so how can I explain this to my doctors. I have an appointment on February 9th and I really want to be able to walk in with facts to back up my reasons as to why I don't want to take those drugs and why my diet will allow me not to. If you all think maybe I should take them or that this diet can't really help with my disease I am fully ready to accept that as well.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    I support you in working with your doctor to see if you can get off the meds safely.

BUT if the people around you are saying you're changing for the worse off the meds, get back on them. PLEASE. I lost a dear friend to suicide because he decided to take himself off of his medication for bipolar and didn't listen when people told him he was going off the rails.

nikitakolata is offline Senior Member
    I have been wondering the same thing as the OP about anti-depressants. I've been prescribed them and took them for a couple years. I thought that by going primal the diet would help me manage my moods better so I stopped taking the anti-depressants (I lowered the dose over time to get off them). I've been really good at following a primal diet since Jan. 2, and with the exception of Christmas, NYE, and New Years Day, I have been doing it since early December. But, my moods are not good. I think I was a better person on the medication because small things didn't bother me so much. I was able to deal with my non-existent weight loss better then. I'd say I'm clinically depressed again now.

In theory, it feels like these types of medication are not compatible with the primal/paleo lifestyle. In reality though, life is messy, so I'm not sure.

dado Guest
    bipolar, adhd, all this is stupid ideas. you're fine.

but ease off the meds slowly because they are your biggest problem.

then squat or deadlift or whatever you need to do.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I've been on anti-depressants for about 9 years now. I don't notice much of a difference but Mrs. Griffin swears that I'm more even-keeled when I'm on them.

It's my wish to be off of them one day but I have to work towards that with other methods.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

Timthetaco Guest
    I was able to get rid of my medication after I changed my diet. It was actually an accident; I missed a dose and noticed I felt better, so I kept missing doses to see if it was a repeatable effect, and it was, so I stopped taking it (cold turkey, which I wouldn't recommend).

Edit: Why does your doctor want to put you back on medication? Is your mood getting worse?

Also, how long have you been primal? Are you just starting? I know some people tend to drop the medications either right before they change their diet or soon after, but I dropped mine a few months in. If you truly feel like you need the drugs to balance your mood, I wouldn't rely solely on the diet. Doesn't hurt to be on the safe side with a low dose of medication and then taper it down if your mood improves.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have dysthymia (with suicidal lows) with a side of hypomania and ADD. I've been on most anti-depressants, with the exception of prozac and it's kin (the docs didn't like how it might interact with my BC and levothyroxine, not to mention I was in my early 20s.) Every single anti-depressnat I've ever been on (with one exception), threw me way up high (to what I later learned was manic behavior, as it exaggerated the hypomania) for a few days with every dose increase, and then levelled off to approximating normality. It'd work for a week to a month, then I'd need to get a higher dose or a different med, because my body would adjust to the meds and go back to what it considered to be normal. I couldn't cycle through the meds because once I've worn a med out, it's done for good, that immunity stays. The exception was Welbutrin, which worked for several months beautifully, then abruptly threw me into the deepest suicidal funk I'd ever seen.
    I got mine under control in 4 ways, one of which likely may not work for bipolar.
    1) I learned that I was on too low a dose of my thyroid meds. On the correct dose, the dysthymia mostly comes back to a normal range, with only occasional valleys of suicidal and mountains of hypomania.
    2) Therapy, mostly of the self inflicted variety (I wouldn't recommend doing it that way, go to someone who knows what they're doing.) With my journals, I learned what my triggers are and what it takes to pull myself pack from too low a low or too high a high, as well as what each of those was.
    3) Meditation and such, to help me learn where the "true middle" is. My innate middle ground is lower than most peoples, so I had to learn what the "true middle emotion" was before I could figure out how to stay there.
    4) Primal helped, to a degree, by making it easier to think clearly and therefore pinpoint when I was headed for a deep chasm or high mountain.

All, that aside, I'd say listen to your friends and family. Truly. Listen to your friends and family. As you're stepping your way down off the meds (cold turkey is probably a BAD idea), listen to them to make sure your swings aren't getting larger or more violent. If you need the meds, you need the meds. I'm on an artificial hormone that I originally hoped PB would get rid of. It didn't. That sucks, but I'd rather have the artificial hormone and a happy, semi-sane life than what I'd get without it.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    There's a very interesting blog that I read regularly Evolutionary Psychiatry that deals with diet and psych issues. I think it's probably possible for some to control or minimize bipolar disorder with diet, although I have no direct experience with it and couldn't offer specific advice. I do have ADHD which is somewhat controlled with diet and exercise although I'm not certain of similarities with the two disorders. Could be genetic connections, as your brother has ADHD, or it could be you have different variants of genes from different sides of the family. Anyhow, I would definitely look into dietary measures, and don't rule out supplementation as well. Many with psych disorders have deficiencies or problems digesting or metabolizing specific vitamins. Have you ever had blood work done to look for deficiencies or possible health issues? It's a good idea if you haven't.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    My journal is probably a decent example of tracking moods & such. Sometimes I don't realize something is off until after, but at least there's a record. I was diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder at 15yrs old. Primal helped stabilize my moods, and taking certain supplements helps keep the anxiety at bay. I feel much more happy now than I ever have before, and I've been on and off many medications.

Check out "Depression-Free: Naturally", it has some information on how to treat Bipolar Disorder with supplements. I don't know if it's effective or not, but it might give you an idea of how food could help (the supplements you would take are all found in vegetables and animal protein sources, just gives you a bit more on the assumption that you are not absorbing them correctly or have a deficit in your natural stores).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

bleujinnii is offline Junior Member

Re: Medication, to take it or not to take it?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Well, I am not currently on any medication right now. I haven't been for over two years. I just don't want to start taking medication if I can control my symptoms with my diet and exercise. From what I've read, diet and exercise play a role in the emotional state too. Thank you all for your advice and support!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast