Thread: How do I get my calcium? page

bleujinnii is offline Junior Member

How do I get my calcium?

Shop Now
    I apologize ahead of time if that is stupid question or has already been answered or I somehow missed it in The Primal Blueprint. I want to cut dairy out because I am one of those people who will put cheese on everything if I have it in my house. I will eat yogurt by the container (not those little cups but those big containers, I'm not proud) and I will drink a gallon of milk in two days easily. I've always been that way. However osteoporosis runs in my family and it has always been a big fear of mine. My Grandmother was a tall woman but after being diagnosed with osteoporosis she shrunk quite a lot. I'm 5'11" and the thought of shrinking that much scares me. So does dairy provide us with calcium? Is calcium really needed for strong bones? How else can I reach my calcium needs if not through dairy?

Roth is offline Junior Member
    Pasteurized dairy is completely 100% useless as a source of calcium.
    Unpasteurized dairy is better, but it still has its own health problems because its dairy.

Salmon and sardines are a good source of calcium. So are many nuts and seeds. As are eggshells (yes, you can eat them.)
    Many veggies have decent amounts of calcium too, but they also contain oxalates so the calcium isn't absorbed for the most part.

Worst case scenario, just take a Vit D3+Calcium supplement. If you're eating a varied and healthy diet, don't worry. You won't get osteoporosis. Just to give you a marker of how wrong conventional wisdom nutrition is: the US has one of the highest calcium intakes of any country in the world (due to a high dairy intake) and we also have one of the highest rates of osteoporosis (~55% of Americans over 50.)

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Wheat and other grains make the blood acidic. The bodies response to raised acidity in the blood is to leach calcium to make the blood alkaline again.
    Eating meat with a good portion of veg balances the blood ph reducing the risk of osteoporosis. So following a primal diet with lots of veg will help.
    There are other sources of calcium but can I ask why are you wanting to cut dairy. Some people can handle cheese etc and will eat it unless they are trying to cut body fat. What are your goals?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

bleujinnii is offline Junior Member
    Awesome thank you for putting me at ease. I think I am still in that panic mode that CW puts you in when you try to make such drastic changes to your diet. I keep wanting to shout, "But wait! Don't I need this from that food?!" when in fact no I don't.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Dolomite powder... cheap and well absorbed by the body. I have a fam history, too. I don't take a lot of it, though. Like the poster above said... get rid of the grains and your body won't leach calcium.

What is Dolomite Powder?