Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else eat less? page

SLAEN is offline Junior Member

Anyone else eat less?

Primal Fuel
    So I have noticed since the middle of my first week of Primal, started Jan 2 2012, that I don't eat nearly as much. I work out more now, 5 days a week, and don't eat nearly as much as i used too. Typically I eat eggs with another protein for breakfast and then generally a salad with protein after I work out if i do actually get hungry. I just do not eat nearly as much. I am however eating much more fat and of course 95% of my carbs come from greens and fruit (2-3) beers on Friday night.

So is it the higher fat intake that is causing less hunger or what? Does anyone else experiance this?
    Also 16 pounds lost in 17 days. Good start I'd say.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Yes it is because fat burns slowly, sugars burn off quickly.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    At first, I ate way more, but still lost weight. I think I was just starved for the nutrition I had been missing. Now I eat much less, and I don't get even close to as hungry. I can easily skip meals, and no longer have the urge to inhale food, so I'm free to take time and cook without feeling starved.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

banananutmuffin is offline Senior Member
    Good job on the loss!

I started primal the same day as you (lost 7 lbs so far). I felt starved for the first few days. But by the second week, I wasn't nearly as hungry and ate significantly less. Also, I have found when I do get very hungry, I don't get that MUST-EAT-NOW type of feeling that I used to get. I can stay hungry for longer, and it's not a desperate hunger, if you know what I mean.

I attribute this to the fact that my meals aren't making my blood sugar spike and drop like crazy.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

DanielP is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banananutmuffin View Post
    I don't get that MUST-EAT-NOW type of feeling that I used to get. I can stay hungry for longer, and it's not a desperate hunger, if you know what I mean.
    I noticed that as well.

The trouble I'm having is getting into a single day a good variety of foods--I tend to go heavy on meat/eggs/cheese one day, salad and vegetables the next, but overall I'm eating less than before I gave up grains. I'd already parted with sugar except as it came in yogurt (vanilla flavored) or Greek honey yogurt, now given up in exchange for full-fat non-flavored yogurts heavily influenced by Costco's frozen mixed berries, which makes it almost sweet enough. I still cheat with honey.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I did not experience satiation until I dropped all sugar and fruit from my diet and upped the quality of meat past what I thought was reasonable. It was a weird experience. I guess my sugar is that screwed up. I am considering to remain sugar-free for as long as possible.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Pretty normal. If you are carrying a lot of extra weight and you normalize your hormones, your body will start burning the fat and you won't need to get as many calories from your food.

Make sure what you ARE eating is nutrient-dense, though. You still need your protein and vitamins/minerals to stay healthy as you lose weight. Think quality meats (including organs), seafood, and a variety of veggies. Good work!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielP View Post
    The trouble I'm having is getting into a single day a good variety of foods--I tend to go heavy on meat/eggs/cheese one day, salad and vegetables the next, but overall I'm eating less than before I gave up grains.
    It doesn't matter very much what you eat in a single day unless you are trying to optimize workout nutrition for strength/mass gains. You might stress less over it if you think more in terms of balancing your nutrition over the week. You don't run short on any given nutrient in one day, and most things can be stored to a certain extent if you eat more than you happen to need on a given day.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I ate less for a lotta years but now I'm underweight so I gotta eat more.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's like Gary Taubes says: You don't get fat because you eat too much. You eat too much because you're fat. Your body is starving for what it needs, and if you give it the standard American diet instead, you deplete it of nutrients and encourage it to store fat. And you're constantly hungry, so it just keeps spiraling if you don't break the cycle.

Sounds like you have. Congrats!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast