Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had success (or at least not gotten fat) by adding in starch? page

primalsun is offline Member

Anyone had success (or at least not gotten fat) by adding in starch?

Hey guys! So I know everyone is different and my body will probably not react the same way as any of the people who answer this. BUT I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced strength/ muscle gains and/or fat loss when adding in starches. I have recently realized I am in fact poor and can not eat the way I have been eating for the last three months. Previously (as in before today) I have eaten around 1+ pounds of grass fed beef per day with about 3-6 pastured eggs (+ tons of organic veggies). However, now that my eyes have been opened to how pathetic my financial situation truly is I plan to cut my meat consumption down by about 1/3, add in sweet and red potatoes, and switch to cage free eggs as opposed to pasture raised. I know its not really optimal but I don't think its that bad of a compromise seeing as it will save me roughly $150/month in groceries. I'm not really interested in carb cycling but rather plan on having potatoes as part of my daily meal at lunch and dinner regardless of whether or not i'm lifting (I lift 3x per week and do crossfit 3-4x per week). So all in all it should come out to 2-3 small-medium sized potatoes per day which I'm thinking will equal about 75-125 g of carbs from starch. Oh and my goals? Right now just trying to maintain weight while slowly gaining strength and slowly leaning out, not looking for any quick fixes here or anything. My only concern really is that I naturally gravitated toward a VLC way of eating since going paleo/primal a few months ago; therefore, I don't want my body to react negatively to an increase in starch. Thanks guys

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    What about eating canned fish? Sardines are nice and fatty - they're usually pretty cheap, compared to grass fed beef.

Yeah, I do add in some canned tuna and salmon w/ bones on occasion. They will help with costs in the future but I honestly just don't like them enough to make them part of my everyday diet.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    If you are trying to lean out, carbs are your friend. Schedule in some refeeds and or carb days with sweat potato, white rice.. whatever. Reduce calories bit and eat em up and enjoy the fat loss. Your body will not react negatively.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    If you are trying to lean out, carbs are your friend.
    Thanks for the quick reply, Fernaldo. I've heard carbs help for fat loss in those that are active. However, when most people talk about adding carbs in they talk about carb cycling and other programs such as the UD2. I just wasn't sure if adding them in daily regardless of workout load for that day would mess anything up.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Well, personally I add them on days I workout. Carbs aren't going to make you fat. Eating a shit ton of calories and doing nothing will. If I were you, I would maintain your normal diet and add in some carbs if and when you workout. Just think of the motivation, SWEET POTATO DAY!!!!

Hahaha. Like i said in the original post though, I'm adding them in as a substitute for the meat I can no longer afford bringing my macros of F/P/C/ to ROUGHLY 50/25/25. So I guess I'll see how it goes!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i agree to only adding the carbs on work out days...heavy lifting and sprinting to be specific.

but, if this is a financial issue for you, just ditch the grass fed and pastured eggs and go conventional. you'll probably save half--or more--of your money. use a tiny bit of that money to buy some good fish oil, switch out meat for salmon every now and then, and you'll get pretty much the same benefits as you are now for way less money.

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    strange cheap trick I've found is looking on Craigslist under the "farm and garden" tab-- usually there's folks on there selling meat for decent prices, as well as eggs. it might help you stretch your dollar a bit. i can usually get a dozen farm fresh eggs for $1.50, or a dozen "pond fresh" duck eggs for $2.00.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i agree to only adding the carbs on work out days...heavy lifting and sprinting to be specific.

but, if this is a financial issue for you, just ditch the grass fed and pastured eggs and go conventional. you'll probably save half--or more--of your money. use a tiny bit of that money to buy some good fish oil, switch out meat for salmon every now and then, and you'll get pretty much the same benefits as you are now for way less money.
    Thanks Rob! After hearing you and Fernaldo's advice, I'll try reserving my heavier carb days for my heavy lifting days, but I will probably add in smaller amounts of starch in my day-to-day life just to help the food stretch. As far as giving up grass fed meat, I'm not quite willing to do that yet. My stance on grass fed isn't only health-wise, but also ethical. For now, if I increase my carbs from cheap sources such as potatoes I can afford the higher quality meats. However, my views on this may change if my finances don't . Thanks again for the advice!!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast