Thread: When have you taken enough probiotics? page

NurseMama5 is offline Senior Member

When have you taken enough probiotics?

Primal Fuel
    I don't see why one would have to be on them for life? Or do we?
    "I tried to call the nurse again, but she's bein' a little bitch....I think I'll get outta here." Pink

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i keep a bottle of good probiotics on hand for times that i'm feeling a little off...nauseated, rumbling stomach, or i ate some crappy foods. i don't take them every day, but i do drink some kombucha just about every day. so, guy health is a daily thing for me, but that doesn't mean taking a probiotic pill, and it seems to be doing me good.
    try incorporating things like kombucha, seaweed, kimchi, sauerkraut, etc. into your regular diet for gut health and you can probably ditch the probiotics.

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    Back in the day, our ancestors most likely ate probiotic foods all their life.

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there's any reason to be on probiotic pills for the rest of your life... but who wants to live a life without the natural probiotics in reeeeally good sauerkraut and pickles and yogurt and so on?

I would argue that our ancestors got way more probiotics than we do because fermenting was a method of food preservation.

I'm rather fond of the Japanese style of eating, where you get a small side of pickled veggies with practically every meal. You can pickle just about anything, and most of it goes great with meat and fish.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

karatepig is offline Member
    My thinking was to take a pro-bitic supplement for a month (which I have already done), then just drink kefir a couple of times a week. Does this sound like a good plan?

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    I doubt hunter gatherers ate much in the way of probiotics. Yoghurt, pickles, saukraut are all much more recent than that. Although i have heard HG may have eaten the contents of stomachs when they made a kill so possibly this is where they got their probiotics from. (and some would eat dirt) OTOH they may not have needed probiotics due to the proper diet from birth. Farmers may have needed probiotics to keep their guts healthy once they started eating grains. Considering you have about a kilo of bacteria , or more, in your gut, I don't really see how a little probiotic pill is going to do much.

I made some homemade sauerkraut for the first time this week. It is very crunchy, has a mild flavor, but it is mostly bland. I added a dash of red wine vinegar to my serving and it became much more palatable. Is this affecting the probiotic effect?

Primalest is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I have wondered that about probiotics too. I'm currently taking a bunch of them to deal with coming off GERD meds, but I was wondering how long I'll need to keep that up. I have recently discovered Kombucha, and I occasionally grab some good quality kefir. I'm hoping that once I'm done with the GERD thing, those two sources will keep me okay.