Thread: pork page

joseiha is offline Junior Member

pork

What should i look for when buying pork? i know that beef should be grassfed, chicken should be free range ... everything should be orgainc. But what about pork. i grew up with pigs and we fed them everything. they are omnivores... but that doesnt mean its the best way, obviously. so what is the best way?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Make sure it's not green! I try and buy my pork from a local grower, otherwise I will pickup a tenderloin at the grocery store every once in awhile. With pork (I'm no expert) I don't think it makes a whole hell of a lot of difference, but I avoid anything SmithField just because i think it's a shitty company.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I eat pastured pork and the seller always warns me that for cooking purposes it is leaner.

Factory farmed pork is disturbing. I don't want to put you off it, but I toured a factory farm for work purposes... the waste lagoon is foul. The whole thing is foul. I'd rather eat grain fed beef or even factory chicken. I don't see how they keep the pigs healthy without copious amounts of drugs.

joseiha is offline Junior Member
    i think all factory farms are appalling. thanx for the thoughts

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm lucky, I have a friend who raises 2 or 3 pigs a year for the freezer and I get a side from him. Nearby there is also an organic CSA that I can get a half or whole from too, for a good price. Ask at a local butcher, see if you can find someone raising heritage breed pigs, they are usually kept the way you want them to be.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton