Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to find a doctor you like page

kiss is offline Senior Member

How to find a doctor you like

Primal Fuel
    This is a little embarrassing to admit, but I don't have a doctor. I've spent so many years moving and traveling that I just haven't found one. If I ever needed medical care, which has been extremely rare (knock wood), I've gone to a clinic. I fell off a boat once and hit my head--right eye first-- on an outboard motor and luckily a boat that was nearby had a doctor onboard who took a quick look and said nothing appeared to be broken but to check with an ER which I did and luckily I have a very hard head and I just had a super duper shiner.

I also, kind of by accident, had my thyroid testing done by going to Planned Parenthood. I had a prescription for Synthroid which I haven't taken in years. Admittedly, this is very stupid on my part and I'd like to see what that old gland is up to these days. I have a feeling it's been very, very lazy.

I now have insurance which is really sucky, basically a catastrophe policy, but it's something and I've been looking through to see about the doctors who accept my insurance and I have no idea how to go about picking one. There are just so many and I've always been one who is paralyzed by too many choices.

Any advice? And it's totally cool to tell me how dumb I've been by taking my good health for granted especially now that I'm past *eek* 40.
    kiss = keep it simple, sister!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Nah, lots of people don't see doctors regularly. I try not to. I too have catastrophic insurance, which sucks, but all insurance has to cover yearly check-ups so you can ask for bloodwork and make sure they list it as part of your yearly and you shouldn't have to pay for it. I found my doctor by going to message boards and asking for specifically what I was looking for. Specifically, one who wasn't antibiotic/drug happy, who preferred to take a wait and see approach unless it looked serious, in which case he was also extremely competent at that as well. Check to see which network your insurance uses. Even the smaller companies generally are in a larger network that most doctors accept.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'd simply go for one within easy reach and good opening times (around your work etc).

Otherwise, it's potluck personality-wise.

Good luck! Hopefully you won't need to see them!

Thanks. I think that just throwing a dart is the way I'm going to have to go. I have blue cross/blue shield so there aren't many doctors who aren't eligible. Where I live though, it seems as if there's about one doctor for every three people. I definitely do not plan on making seeing a doctor a habit. It's worked fairly well this far, but I would like to see what my thyroid is up to. I suspect it's up to no good.

Another question I just thought of: D.O. vs M.D.?

Bron is offline Senior Member
    For my entire family, 2 adults 4 kids under 13 - last trip was for the eldest for a skin condition. we also saw someone for a referral, both were last year. before that, i can't remember! my 5 yr old has been once, my 10 yr old son not since he was 6.

yeah, we don't have a doctor either. being 40 doesn't mean you'll get sick (tho we did all get whooping cough yr before last. only my eldest and i had it bad)

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    Last time I went to the doctor was at age 30 when I dislocated my shoulder and needed reconstructive surgery. That was 11 years ago. I have not been to a gynecologist in 17 years. I was given allergy shots (at home) at age 36.
    And I did a cholesterol test about 2 weeks ago.

THAT is my entire medical history for the last 20 years...I am 41 now. I don't believe in running to a doctor for every little sniffle or pimple ....

What would Grok do?

elainevdw is offline Senior Member
    Ask around for recommendations. I'm seeing a doc for the first time this afternoon based on a recommendation from someone I like and respect. I think her referral went something like this: "Yeah, I really like him. Which says a lot, because I hate doctors. All of them. Except this guy." The office has a 48-hour appointment guarantee, too, which is nice. It takes FOREVER to get in to see some doctors.

I wish I could have my gyno as my primary care physician, lol. I have to see her once a year anyway, and she's always been really nice about other health concerns I bring up. Like pre-primal when I was gaining weight, depressed, lethargic, with eczema and all these other issues, she ordered a blood test for me to check my thyroid. She even correctly analyzed the cholesterol results from the lab... the lab marked them as "high," but they were high because I had high HDL, which is good. She noted as much on my results before sending them to me.

Anyway, I've been trying to get recommendations for a primary care doc for about three years, and this is the first one I didn't feel awkward about. My family kept trying to push their doctor on me, but he's basically a glorified drug-pusher. He's trying to put my brother (in his early 30s) on statins, for pete's sake.
    Last edited by elainevdw; 01-19-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    ~elaine. twitter, primal journal.

Quote Originally Posted by vontrapp View Post
    CoWorker: What? Cmon live a little.
    Me: No thanks, I'd rather live a lot.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Issabeau View Post
    What would Grok do?
    Die young due to infection?

Joking aside, outside of a yearly physical required for work I haven't been to the doctor in years. I am at the time in my life though where I realize that doctors are just people with large student loans and are not special so like any other service provider I will find one that I like and that treats me well. I would be surprised if there was not some kind of doctor rating scheme on the internet. Yelp for doctors or some such. The OP might even want to ask a couple of local pharmacists if they recommend anyone.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

I've asked a couple of friends for recommendations, but no one seems all that keen on their doctor. I don't know any local pharmacists because I don't take any drugs, but I guess I could go into the pharmacy and ask. I've googled a bunch of doctors but there are good and bad reviews. Ugh, I think I'll just try to find another clinic and tell them I need my thyroid checked and if it's as wonky as I think it is then I'll see if the clinic doctor, or more likely, nurse practitioner has any recommendations.

Also, super glad to know that I'm not the only person who doesn't see the need to see the doctor. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast