Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Dairy Paleo? Great Article on the herder-gather era page

activia is offline Senior Member

Is Dairy Paleo? Great Article on the herder-gather era

Shop Now
    Is dairy paleo? (part 2) Revising history with new perspectives on flocks of goats, femur bones and feckless nutritionism | drcate.com

Hmmm seems like experimenting with an increase in whole raw dairy may be in order.... The only dairy I currently consume is about 5 ounces of raw milk cheddar cheese a week.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Go Tribe is offline Senior Member
    Darn interesting article! Question is - have we been milking animals long enough!
    Started 9/15/11 at 323 pounds
    2/16/13 at 241 pounds
    Goal is 223 pounds or less

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, thank you! Sadly irrelevant to me "in real life", as even raw milk disagrees with me *sad sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Go Tribe View Post
    Darn interesting article! Question is - have we been milking animals long enough!
    According to the article, since it literally caused a change in our bone structure at the same time we started herding, I would say most likely yes.
    Primal since March 2011

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    They found a grave in hte middle of a town in Belgium that was dated back 35000 years. (not a typo)
    When the grave was excavated they found that is was an unusually large dog burried with flowers and gifts in hte center of that town. This meant that people domesticated animals (even if just a wolf) way before we thought they would.

Also, the first mutation of human bones are also dated about 35000 years back. People started to be born with excess bone formations like extra 2 ribs (men and women) and 1 extra vertabrae (at tailbone). Since organs weren't preserved they also figure that most of those carry a 3rd kidney.
    All those human mutations are of a rare blood type A-, B- and AB-. The extra kidney seems to have grown to process the extra protein (milk) and the bones formed due to abundant bio-available minerals.
    The rare blood types are also concentrated in areas where herder-gatherers would've most likely evolved.

Not sure if it's just coincidence, but sure is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by activia View Post
    Hmmm seems like experimenting with an increase in whole raw dairy may be in order.... The only dairy I currently consume is about 5 ounces of raw milk cheddar cheese a week.
    Hmm I did forget about all that pasture raised butter that I eat as well... I'm starting to think giving raw milk to children is a good idea tho. Worth the trouble that is... lucky we can still buy it in MA unfortunately it entails going to a local dairy farm.
    Primal since March 2011

lexie is offline Senior Member
    Anecdote only, but I really do well with full fat, mostly raw dairy (or cultured). Never had a problem with dairy, even before when I used to have conventional dairy products. Not sure of my blood type, but perhaps its one that's adapted to milk. Once I upped my dairy, even before going primal(ish), a lot of health issues disappeared. I came to primal/paleo from Weston A. Price, and they do advocate milk and milk products - Rami Nagel's work on healing dental decay, which does have a large dairy component, comes to mind.

I think for some, dairy (raw or cultured) is great - others, not so much.

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Great article, thanks for posting.

I'm one of the lucky one's in that dairy doesn't bother me a bit. Which works well for me because I subscribe to the dietary rule that everything tastes better with cheese

OTOH, I'm so bad with gluten that stuff I used to love isn't even tempting anymore - it's just not worth it...

beastie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lexie View Post
    Anecdote only, but I really do well with full fat, mostly raw dairy (or cultured). Never had a problem with dairy, even before when I used to have conventional dairy products. Not sure of my blood type, but perhaps its one that's adapted to milk. Once I upped my dairy, even before going primal(ish), a lot of health issues disappeared. I came to primal/paleo from Weston A. Price, and they do advocate milk and milk products - Rami Nagel's work on healing dental decay, which does have a large dairy component, comes to mind.

I think for some, dairy (raw or cultured) is great - others, not so much.
    Exactly this. We go through a lot of raw dairy (milk, cream, cultured butter, sour cream) each week and neither my husband nor I have had any issues.

And it makes my teeth pearly - I definitely notice a difference in how my teeth feel if I skip the dairy for a few days, which I think is largely attributable the the Vitamin K2 it provides.
    Primal cookery, forgotten skills, natural birth
    www.forgottendomesticarts.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for posting the article - very interesting. I'm pescatarian and eat a lot of goat's cheese and butter, and quite a bit of sheep's cheese. I seem to be intolerant to cow's dairy (I developed eczema briefly as a baby when I was introduced to cow's milk - the eczema did not reappear until my mid twenties).

It seems there is a huge genetic element to toleration to dairy, both the casein and lactose, perhaps more genetic variation than almost any other food. That makes a lot of sense in the context of this article.

Also, it seems very logical to me that there was a strong evolutionary pressure how ever many tens of thousands of years ago to adapt to eating dairy from other animals. Dairy is hardly an alien food to mammals.

My genes are apparently mostly celtic with some Scandinavian thrown in ... no brown eyes in my family and mostly blue on my Mum's side and green on my Dad's (that's where my Irish surname comes from - but I am only 1/8 Irish), and all fair haired as kids. I remember reading a thread here that discussed the traditional celtic diet which was oats, vegetables, fish, dairy, alcohol. I don't eat oats now but of all the grains I've eaten (apart from white rice) I believe that's given me the least problems.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast