Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much should I be eating? page 2

cheffy is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    You are going to have to gain some fat to gain mass. There is really no way around it if you want to do it in this lifetime (meaning not have it take 2 years). The easiest way is to start off high.. say around 3000-3500. Then, taper down if you are gaining "a lot" of fat. In Beyond Brawn, the suggestion is "eat as much as you can (without gaining too much fat)". See how your body reacts to that amount of calories. You could even go higher if you aren't seeing a lot of fat gain. You gotta eat carbs (potatoes, white rice, bananas). 150g or less ain't going to be putting on any mass!!! Just remember carbs aren't the enemy and after your bulk they will become your best friend for cutting the excess bodyfat you gained.

Eat maintenance on non-training days and go big on training days. Don't worry about nutrient timing... just eat (1 meal, 10 meals whatever).

Just realized you were IF'ing. I am also doing lean gains, not to bulk though. I go high carb, moderate protein, low fat on training days. I eat high protein, moderate/high fat, lower carb on non-training.
    So on regular days I should eat around 2500ish calories?

cheffy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    If you are able to add weight you are getting stronger, eat more and the size will come.
    Not too worried about size, I just Don't think I have enough muscle for me to look really lean, which is what I'm aiming for.

powder is offline Junior Member
    My goals are weight loss with a little muscle gain, so i only eat about 2200 calories on workout days, but i need to lose 10% of my body fat. My meal w/in an hour of lifting is the critical one. I eat over half my daily calories in that one meal, then an hour or 2 later have a whey protein shake, but also snack on veggies, fruits, nuts, jerky throughout the day, and also have a decent size breakfast. Ham or bacon with 3-4 eggs and some fruit.

I'm losing weight on that diet, so i would think that to gain weight, you will need at least 3000 calories, if not more. And i agree that with muscle gain you should expect some fat gain. My friend counters the fat gain by walking every day, even workout days, for about an hour, sometimes 2.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cheffy View Post
    So on regular days I should eat around 2500ish calories?
    That's a good place to start and see what happens. Everyone is different but the calorie totals give you a rough estimate.

It's hard to put on muscle while burning fat, so concentrate on one or the other. LG helps though... hence "lean gains"

cheffy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    That's a good place to start and see what happens. Everyone is different but the calorie totals give you a rough estimate.

It's hard to put on muscle while burning fat, so concentrate on one or the other. LG helps though... hence "lean gains"
    I guess I'll just have to focus on muscle right now then...Thanks for all the advice!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12