Thread: Wine and destruction of intestinal tract page

EPrimal Guest

Shop Now

I have heard that any alcohol including wine will cause great harm to your digestive tract by destroying the good bacteria living there. Is this true?

I have 12 ounces of wine once a week a few hours after dinner. I am wondering if it is causing a problem with my digestion or with the good gut bacteria. Does 'anyone' know the 'true' answer to this question. Is alcohol bad for your digestive tract and intestines or not?

Mr B Guest

Even if it does...I doubt 12 oz once a week or so is going to be tragic.

Dagny is offline Member

I was always under the impression that Wine aides in digestion... Although I am biased, Wine is my job.

EPrimal Guest

I guess 12 oz really isn't all that much. It is a half bottle of wine but what you said makes sense Mr B, even if it is bad for your intestines that small amount is most likely insignificant.

Dagny... Wine does aid in digestion but only if you drink it 'with' a meal. The acids in the wine aid in digestion that way. But if you drink in on a relatively empty stomach at the end of the day it does not help digestion and just goes straight to the intestinal tract. That is why I wanted to know if it damages the digestive system.

Dagny is offline Member

Ah... Now I see what you mean, even more reason to have a glass of Cab with my steak.

EPrimal Guest

Cab with steak is a perfect combination. May I suggest Justine Isosceles 2006. It is a full bodied wine that could cost much more than its very respectable 60 dollar price tag. Worth every penny! I am drinking my 12 ounces right now and it is DELICIOUS!

Earlier today for dinner I had 10 ounces of grass fed organic fillet minion. I eat it raw with Himalayan crystal salt and fermented vegetables... it is delicious. Ever since switching to the primal diet (one full week so far), and putting a total halt on my one gallon of water a day philosophy, my stomach and digestive problems have cleared up. I love it!

I am still hoping someone can tell me if alcohol (wine) can damage the intestinal tract and destroy the good bacteria but I guess it is possible no one knows. Thanks for your comments Dagny