Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cardio and weight gain page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

cardio and weight gain

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just got back from a vacation where I was unable to exercise for 3 weeks, except do yoga and I lost about 8 pounds! However since being back home I have been going back to my daily exercise routine which is usually running 6.8 mph for 30-40 minutes and some yoga, or i'll do some interval training when i am not running. i have been eating a very clean diet and yet I am gaining weight every day. It seems to be hitting me in my stomach area, and although I probably could use some pounds, why is this occuring? Is this overtraining? My thighs seem to be bigger too (probably from muscle gain) but I frankly liked myself before I got back. I feel that I always struggle with this issue and its when I go on vacation that I like my body and see better results. Can anyone explain this and tell me what the best approach to exercise is? I'd hate to stop exercise 6 times a week because I sit at a desk all day, which doesnt seem healthy. Thanks for ANY input!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the book or the 101? If you did you missed the bit about chronic cardio
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

primalsun is offline Member
    Hello! I seem to have this problem when I do multiple days of high intensity workouts in a row (usually more than 3 days without a rest day). However, once I have about a full 24 hours of rest, everything normalizes. It seems to be more of a bloat caused from water retention. If you're not trying to lose weight or train for a big event, I would recommend replacing 2-3 days of your running or interval training with slower movement such as hiking. If you run on a treadmill, maybe try to walk on an incline at a slower pace for these less intense day. You said you felt sitting at work so much is unhealthy, but I personally believe that running so far and so often is also unhealthy (although I understand the addiction and I can be the same with crossfit wods!). Good luck!!

Thanks so much. Just seems that running 3 miles is not considered chronic cardio in my mind. It's not as if I am training hard or anything, so I just didn't know if that was considered in the chronic cardio realm. I guess it is the water retention and maybe I should cut back half of my runs with just walking. I woke up again with another pound added to the scale and I really don't think I am eating a lot of calories. Will it all normalize soon?

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Three miles is NOT chronic cardio! These types of posts are slowly driving me away from these boards.

OP, you gained weight because you are less active (and probably eating more) than you did on vacation. You were probably happier on vacation too.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Maybe you were eating less salty food on your vacation. Water weight can vary dramatically based on water and salt intake. Ask a fighter who's preparing for a weigh-in, hehe.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    It could be simply due to a change in routine. If you have been doing the same routine for awhile your body will adapt and your gains will slow as your body becomes trained. Change up the routine or even taking a break can give good results. If you exercise 6 times a week this could be your problem. I have seen better results by keeping my diet in check and exercising less then exercising every day. I sit at a desk all day and saw a 20lb weight loss when I stopped running every day and went to the gym 3 days a week. At this point I look at exercise as a way to gain muscle and diet as a way to shed fat.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

MightyAl, did you change it up from doing simply cardio to just doing weights and interval training?

I was on vacation absolutely doing NOTHING. So i know for a fact that I was less active. I have seen this happen to my body a lot, especially when I travel to Europe. I run or use elliptical every day and when I went to Paris for 10 days I only walked very slowly and noticed that I dropped weight so easily. My diet was worse in Europe than it was at home. Also my diet has been the same while being back from vacation, maybe a little more chocolate and things here and there, but honestly its still very low calorie. I just want to understand why this happens and how to break this cycle, because half the battle is mental (im stuck on the belief that I MUST go to the gym every day).

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I also lose weight when I go on vacation. But I know it's a combination of eating less and lack of weight training. I haven't done any cardio to speak of for months, so I can't comment on that, but I know that when I take a break from weight training, my weight starts going down pretty fast.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Hey Al, just out of curiosity, how is running for 30-40 minutes at 6.8mph every day (taking the poster at their word with "daily exercise routine") not chronic cardio?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast