Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Equipment for Body By Science page

GR8ADVENTURE is offline Junior Member

Home Equipment for Body By Science

Primal Fuel
    I just finished Primal Blueprint and I'm now reading Body by Science and I've been going fully Primal for 2 weeks and the results have already been amazing. Since working out isn't really my passion, but getting becoming as healthy and fit as possible in the least amount of time is. I'd rather have more time to dedicate to my other priorities and interests. I'm a obsessed with fly fishing and fly tying.

I do not want to invest in a gym membership I'm much more into doing things on my own.

What would be the best home equipment for me to get for hopefully around total of a $500 in order to strictly follow the Body by Science protocol. I mean brands and specific equipment. I one of those who believe that in most anything there are brands that are just as good as the Big Names that cost much less. All suggestions will be extremely appreciated.

Body By Science suggests buying an Olympic Weight Set and a Power Rack, but I don't know the first thing to look for in a power rack. If I can get that and a good quality Seated Row Station, Pull Down Station, and a Leg Press Station for $500 or less I'd be ecstatic. I just have know idea where to begin. One more thing the more compact the better as I don't have much room.
    Last edited by GR8ADVENTURE; 01-21-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    check craigs list or ebay for a weight set and power rack. With some power racks you can add a a pulley system for pulldowns and rows (if you cant do pullups). As for the leg press station you will get better gains with squats and deadlifts.
    As for the power rack you want it to have a built in chin bar (which most do) and you want it easily adjustable.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

GR8ADVENTURE is offline Junior Member
    Dirlot, thanks for your reply.

I look forward to hearing from others hopefully as well.
    Last edited by GR8ADVENTURE; 01-18-2012 at 10:44 PM.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I'd say the bang for your buck would be combining primal nutrition, Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength, and hill sprints.

If you have room, investing in a power rack, olymipic weights and a bench would be the best thing you could buy fitness/health wise.

Do the starting strenght program for a while until you are reasonably strong, then modify it a bit to add in the sprints.

12 weeks of rip's beginner program then morph to...

Mon - Squat, Bench, Deads, Press
    Wed - Hill sprints
    Fri - Power cleans, weighted chins, weighted dips

You would be a beast in a year...
    Last edited by arthurb999; 01-21-2012 at 06:19 AM.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I'd say the bang for your buck would be combining primal nutrition, Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength, and hill sprints.

If you have room, investing in a power rack, olymipic weights and a bench would be the best thing you could buy fitness/health wise.

Do the starting strenght program for a while until you are reasonably strong, then modify it a bit to add in the sprints.

12 weeks of rip's beginner program then morph to...

Mon - Squat, Bench, Deads, Press
    Wed - Hill sprints
    Fri - Power cleans, weighted chins, weighted dips

You would be a beast in a year...
    Why would you do bench and press on the same day?!

Monday- squat, bench, deads, dips

Wednesday- hill sprints, chins

Friday- Squat, press, powerclean

Lifting days, a squat, a press and a pull

I think as you progress you can handle more... I've had pretty good success with the above routine.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurb999 View Post
    I think as you progress you can handle more... I've had pretty good success with the above routine.

Cool, I'll have to try that. I've been having recovery issues as it is doing strict SS, bench is stuck at 1.3xBW and press is 0.85xBW, and that's spacing them out every other day. I just doubt I could press my 5RM for singles after a heavy bench session...

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CE402 View Post
    Cool, I'll have to try that. I've been having recovery issues as it is doing strict SS, bench is stuck at 1.3xBW and press is 0.85xBW, and that's spacing them out every other day. I just doubt I could press my 5RM for singles after a heavy bench session...
    If you are stuck you may want to take an extra day of rest or deload 10% and build back up.
    when 2.5Kg (aprox 5lbs) is too much to add to the bar (Especially doing presses) I went and found some 2" internal diameter washer which weigh about 300g each (so two of them are about a 1 lb). A cheap way of micro-lading the bar.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Eat more and get better sleep

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GR8ADVENTURE View Post
    I just finished Primal Blueprint and I'm now reading Body by Science and I've been going fully Primal for 2 weeks and the results have already been amazing. Since working out isn't really my passion, but getting becoming as healthy and fit as possible in the least amount of time is. I'd rather have more time to dedicate to my other priorities and interests. I'm a obsessed with fly fishing and fly tying.

I do not want to invest in a gym membership I'm much more into doing things on my own.

What would be the best home equipment for me to get for hopefully around total of a $500 in order to strictly follow the Body by Science protocol. I mean brands and specific equipment. I one of those who believe that in most anything there are brands that are just as good as the Big Names that cost much less. All suggestions will be extremely appreciated.

Body By Science suggests buying an Olympic Weight Set and a Power Rack, but I don't know the first thing to look for in a power rack. If I can get that and a good quality Seated Row Station, Pull Down Station, and a Leg Press Station for $500 or less I'd be ecstatic. I just have know idea where to begin. One more thing the more compact the better as I don't have much room.
    If you are going do BBS or any form of HIT, you will be training to complete failure. To do this safely you will need equipment that provide self-spotting or you will need a training partner to spot you. This is important with big lifts such as bench and squats. A power rack with safety stops will work. it doesn't have to be an expensive unit but you will want to make sure it can handle the weights you intend to lift. You won't find a good power rack for less than $300 new but may get lucky with a used one.

I had a Powertec Leverage Bench at one time and it works great for HIT. The weight plates are placed on a lever arm that has a support pin under it so you can't injure yourself when going to failure. Also, it can be used for a couple of dozen different exercises including squats, rows, shoulder presses, bench presses, etc. However, a new one will run you about $900. Although, you may find a used one for less. Official Site of Powertec Home Gym | Exercise Equipment | Home Gyms

You can usually find a new Olympic barbell & weight set for about $200

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast