Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RangerMom's Journal page

RangerMom is offline Junior Member

RangerMom's Journal

Primal Fuel
    I am 46yo. Once upon a time in the 80s, I was a competitive cross country and track athlete and about 120 lbs. Marriage happened and the babies started to arrive. We have always been into health food - brown rice, tofu, The Moosewood Cookbooks. Years passed. I kept running with some occassional light lifting. My weight keeps going up. In 2000, I ran a marathon at 150 lbs, thinking the training would help me get 10 lbs off at least. Actually, I gained 3 lbs during that endeavor. Now another 10 years has passed, and two more children. We raise our own meat, eggs and milk our own cows. I cook from scratch and am all about whole foods. I now weigh 176 lbs. In my mind's eye, I have the same body I did in my 20s. Pictures tell a more frightening story!

In Jan 2010, I started 3 months of pretty strict paleo eating, with no major exercise to speak of. I lost 2 lbs and gave it up. I did feel better though - sleep was good, the rabid appetite was gone, aches and pains ( carpel tunnel syndrome) had gone away. In August, I did a 30 day paleo challenge. No weight loss. I begin to wonder about the blood type diet. Is it only Type Os that lose on the paleo plan?

Now determined to get a grip. Exercise must become a part. My back is starting to bother me. My core is so weak. Some kettlebells have been purchased and I'm anxious to get going with those.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Not sure I believe in the blood type diet, but I am Type 0. Find what works for you. It isn't one size fits all.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I bet you'll do it this time. I've been reading online that cutting out all fruit and dairy helps the weight loss. I'm going for one apple a day or less and going without the dairy, so maybe that will help. Dairy is so good, though, as you know with your own cows. Do you make cheese? I love The Moosewood Cookbooks (or did when I ate that way). I'm only on Day 3 of 100% primal as I was doing it with coconut water (which has tons of natural sugar) instead of coconut milk which is primal. Amazing the mistakes I can make. So, I'm counting from Monday. Sure feel better. I did notice the great sleep like you did as well as the rabid appetite being gone. Those are huge. I'm going to get a pull up rod for my door. How manycows do you milk a day?

Beginning of Week Two....I'm so joyous about our new kettlebells! This is an exercise I can really get behind. It's so functional. I've been struggling lately with my tender back. Tossing a hay bale over a fence, or picking up the 2yo....the perfect recipe for muscle spasms. Looking forward to getting my core back. Purchased the book "Body Sculpting with Kettlebells for Women" by Lorna Kleidman and am following her Silver program ( with a few things added in, cause it seems a tad easy).
    Eating is going pretty well. I do great until I get to the after dinner time, when I'm suddenly craving a bowl of cereal. Will mix up some paleo granola or try a square of dark chocolate to fend that off...
    This week i cooked two large beef roasts - the last few days we've had paleo chili and salad for dinner, lunch is a salad with some tuna or other leftover meat. Breakfast is eggs/sausage/spinach. A piece of fruit about every other day.
    I use cream in my coffee, and some feta on my salads...completely dairy free may be impossible for me.
    Roasting one of our homegrown 30 lbs turkeys today...
    Saturday I worked at a swim meet.....a trip out to in public to observe the general population is a great motivator. 0_o

Eating is going pretty well. I do great until I get to the after dinner time, when I'm suddenly craving a bowl of cereal. Will mix up some paleo granola or try a square of dark chocolate to fend that off...
    We use up our daily allotment of will power as the day goes on. Having a bit of dark chocolate is a good way to deal with the issue.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Today...Despair! I'm gaining weight. The scale says 180 - a weight I have never seen in a non-pregnant state. This is why I get discouraged. : (

Food yesterday - Breakfast - 1 egg, 2 sausage links
    Lunch - 2 turkey meatballs, 1.5 cups mashed cauliflower
    Supper - turkey breast, cole slaw
    2 cups of coffee with 1/2 and 1/2 and coconut oil.
    workout was the day's schedule from "Body Sculpting with Kettlebells for Women" by Lorna Kleidman - I'm doing the silver program with extra reps.

Today's food thus far - breakfast - muesli ( sliced almonds, shredded unsweetened coconut,sunflower seeds, a grated apple) with full-fat plain yogurt.
    snack - a turkey meatball.
    Cleaned a stall, and did 2 sets of 1 legged deadlifts and swings with the 25lb ball, cause I felt like it.

Try to not even weigh. I know it is hard.
    Ancestral Health Info

mjp
    mjp is offline Member
    You are on the right track. I am a big believer in kettlebells. I am not familiar with the program you are speaking of but I would recommend you do super sets. Something like this:
    Swings
    Rows
    Lunge
    Snatch
    Clean and press
    Squat
    This is just one example. I did super sets like this in the beginning of my weight loss journey. At first it was 8-10 reps for each arm, short rest, then on to the next exercise. As my conditioning improved I bought a gymboss timer and would do 30-45 seconds on each side (i.e. 30 seconds left arm swings, 10 second rest, then 30 seconds on right side) and 10 second rests between each exercise. Continue this till you have done all the exercises, rest 2 minutes and then repeat the whole thing again. My kettlebell workouts would last anywhere from 20-30 minutes total and I was wiped out. I found this type of workout along with the Primal eating plan was a sweet spot for me to see huge body composition changes. Keep up the good work.

Brigio is offline Junior Member
    Hi RangerMom, have you tried anything to balance your hormones? It could be a hormone issue if you are finding it incredibly difficult to lose weight! Maca would be good- helps support the adrenals and balance hormones.. Also make sure you are getting iodine in your diet to support your thyroid. You might want to consider supplementing! I hope you find something that works for you!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I KNOW I KNOW - I wrote the newbie post nobody wants to read. I'm going to write it off to PMS and grok on.

Had a great weekend of eating and workouts. The kettleball schedule is really ramping up. Went out to eat after church yesterday at BW3 - they were really good about bringing me my burger with no bun/no cheese and carrot and celery sticks instead of fries.

Brigio - As far as supplementing iodine.....I eat nori sheets every once in a while, but for years have avoided iodine because I battle hyperthyroidism.
    I'm unfamiliar with Maca. It appears to be more beneficial to men? My cycles are regular and sex drive is great...not sure I need that....
    Supplements I'm currently taking are cod liver oil, Rainbow Light Once Daily multi, magnesium, and vit d.

Mjp - I am just loving the kettlebells. I am currently doing about 3 sets of 5 or 6 varying exercises -----4 days per week. Sometimes on the odd days I will just go downstairs and do 30 or so swings whenever I'm switching the laundry over. We have 15, 25, and 35 lbs bells. This book has it's programs listed as Silver, Gold and Platinum....I'm doing the Silver program - no place to go but up.

Breakfast today was eggs scrambled with some leftover turkey stir fry and handful of shredded cabbage. Husband called this Compost Eggs because it resembled the bucket of scraps we keep under the sink for the chickens, lol. Last week I roasted a huge turkey - today the remains will become a pot of soup. It's cold and snowy here - in the mood for roasted squash too.

Sleep was not so good this weekend. Friday we went out with friends, stayed up too late. Saturday we were bothered by a prowler in the night - banging on windows. That provided a little primal adrenaline rush! Sunday night - dogs were restless and 2yo up in the night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast