Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: stop the madness page

fiercehunter is offline Banned

stop the madness

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed in the last year of arguing on various forums all over the Internet that a showdown of sorts seems to be going on, primal/paleo people versus the CW calorie counters. The calorie counters want to have it all and eat it all, while the primal/paleo crowd says whoa that's not entirely how it works and let me share my experience with you and what I"ve learned. The calorie crowd dismisses and says there's no science to prove what you are saying and all you have to do is keep count of your calories/count your WW points, do your exercise and you will be saved.

I have most recently been on a forum/diet support group that has all kinds of teams, counters, endless reams of "helpful information" and even gives you trophies and little points for whatever goals you achieve, it's highly interactive and even a little touchy-feely. This site promotes its diet philosophy which is based on counting calories, eating a "balanced" diet (including ridiculous amounts of grains), and logging exercise so that nothing is unaccounted for-- everything is tracked with the end goal being "success". But it seems that even some of the team leaders on the board can't manage their weight, and everyone on there, like a full 90% of the whole board, lives life on some kind of perpetual trauma/drama kind of trip such that you would think the whole lifestyle shift thing was an on going soap opera. What really floors me about this is I've encountered these same people on other forums all over the Internet-- they are everywhere, living in fear of an uncounted calorie, a missed workout, weekends, Egg beaters versus regular eggs, a missed glass of water, the evils of butter & cholesterol, constipation, gaining back 3 lbs, and on and on. The primal/paleo crowd is often the other group of people who make valiant efforts to get the point across and point out errors in CW thinking only to be repeatedly beat up and made to feel stupid and wrong. It's all getting so tiring and I secretly feel guilty that I have done so well all these years even semi primal. Animal protein has been my salvation all these years. I've tracked carbs and protein, not calories. For a lot of years I didn't allow a lot of big calorie splurges, I was pretty strict, which helped me stay in my skinny jeans. I'm wondering, is there something wrong with me because I'm not as in to the diet drama as everyone else? Or do I have the right to be a little fatigued that the rest of the culture refuses to get it 15 years since the advent of lower carb revolution?

dado Guest
    too much words.

what is your question?

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Everyone looks to community and culture in order to succeed. The problem with those groups is that the community seems to have fostered a culture of micromanaging and complaining and stressing in order to succeed. Here, the culture seems to be more bragging about accomplishments and being enthusiastic about what things we DO eat.

Also its probably largely influenced by control. That way of dieting is all about controlling every little thing all the time, which generates and requires a lot of stress in order to maintain. For most of us here, we barely have to control anything, just choose to avoid certain things and everything else starts to fall into place, which gives us free time to be positive with each other.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
    Everyone looks to community and culture in order to succeed. The problem with those groups is that the community seems to have fostered a culture of micromanaging and complaining and stressing in order to succeed. Here, the culture seems to be more bragging about accomplishments and being enthusiastic about what things we DO eat.

Also its probably largely influenced by control. That way of dieting is all about controlling every little thing all the time, which generates and requires a lot of stress in order to maintain. For most of us here, we barely have to control anything, just choose to avoid certain things and everything else starts to fall into place, which gives us free time to be positive with each other.
    buahahahahhahaa

what are you, a grad student?

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post
    too much words.

what is your question?
    It's the bits with the ? at the end
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    It's the bits with the ? at the end
    brevity, it's not just for assholes

too much words.

what is your question?
    Have you not encountered CW people around the Internet? I've been following CW versus paleo/primal arguments on almost all nutrition/diet/weight loss forums.

It's not a question so much as a rant.

dado Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Have you not encountered CW people around the Internet? I've been following CW versus paleo/primal arguments on almost all nutrition/diet/weight loss forums.

It's not a question so much as a rant.
    what is there to follow?

one is right, the other wrong. follow arguments all you want, but this is waste of time.

what is there to follow?

one is right, the other wrong. follow arguments all you want, but this is waste of time.
    Um no actually it's called keeping up with what's going on culturally. Some people don't like to fight but I'm pretty fierce so it's a natural activity for me.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The reason they haven't figured it out is because they are afflicted by cake brain.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast