Thread: Sauce for fish...chicken...or just drink it page

Redflame is offline Senior Member

Sauce for fish...chicken...or just drink it

Shop Now
    In a quest for making fish more appealing to the family I have been looking for a good sauce...Their idea of fish is Fish and Chips...but would take McDonalds Chicken Nuggets over fish any day. So upping fish in our daily menu is difficult.

But THIS is fantastic, it is versitile, and would also be great on chicken, shrimp....OHHHH squid too!

Caper and Lemon Butter
    4 TBL butter
    2 TBL capers (smaller the better, drained)
    3-4 TBL lemon juice
    1-2 Tsp lemon zest

Melt the butter toss in the capers for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, add juice and zest.

I used it on Swai Fillets, and on Halibut. Both great.

I will also add shallot, parsley or dill when I have them on hand. The Shallots will need to be cooked down a bit before the capers, the herbs would be tossed in at the last minute
    Redflame
    Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
    Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
    Goal of Significant Weight Loss
    15 pounds down! with more to go!

otzi Guest
    Add a couple egg yolks and make it a Hollandaise Sauce. The egg binds with the butter and turn into a mayo-like consistency, way better than runny butter.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    otzi has it! Hollandaise style sauce over white fish is still good - with capers, shallots (or spring onions/scallions) and some flat leaf parsley, fantastic! If you're okay with dairy, pour in a little cream, too. White pepper? Just a touch to lift it.

Another good sauce for white fish is mushroom. Soften mushroom in butter, then add cream - you end up with a grey/brown thick deep sauce which can take a littel white pepper and some herbs - dill? Again, if you're okay with dairy ... otherwise, straight up Hollandaise style.

You've got the right idea.