Thread: Chicken Apple Sausage Diet page

source99 is offline Junior Member

Chicken Apple Sausage Diet

Shop Now
    I'm Curious what people think of this diet:

There are several companies including Aidell's that make chicken based sausages of a variety of flavors. Most have between 4 and 20 grams of Carbs per servering with plenty of protein(12 g) and fat(14 g).

I think I could get by pretty happily eating 6-8 servering per day and an avocado or something for a bit of variety.

Thoughts on this? I can't myself sticking to it 100% of the time but easily 5 out of 7 days per week.

otzi Guest
    I can only imagine what the ingredient list looks like:
    Salt, MSG, fillers, flavors, HFCS...

source99 is offline Junior Member
    I've seen worst.

Here is the list for their basic:Organic Chicken, Organic Dried Apple, Sodium Lactate (From Beets), Organic Apple Juice, Sea Salt, Organic Spices, and Celery Powder, in a Natural Pork casing

Ayla is offline Senior Member
    Three reasons I wouldn't overdo it on these sausages:
    1. It could end up being a lot of fructose with all of the dried apple and apple juice.
    2. It's probably going to end up being higher in sodium than if you were cooking unprocessed meat and salting it to taste. It's not that high sodium will kill you or anything, but it could lead to headaches or other unpleasantness.
    3. The Omega 3-6 ratio on these is probably very far to the 6 side because chicken usually is.

I think it would take all the joy out of eating to make these your primary meal choice... they look like they'd be fine once in a while, maybe even once a day, but too much of a good thing...
    28, female, 5'2"
    Went primal 7/28/10: 154 lbs.
    1/12/12: 135 lbs.
    Goal: 120 lbs.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by source99 View Post
    I've seen worst.

Here is the list for their basic:Organic Chicken, Organic Dried Apple, Sodium Lactate (From Beets), Organic Apple Juice, Sea Salt, Organic Spices, and Celery Powder, in a Natural Pork casing
    If I saw these in a store near me, I'd buy some to try, but I think I'd only eat them once or twice a year. The sausage I normally get has only a few ingredients: beef, pork, salt, spices--and even then I only eat it every few weeks. I much prefer my meat in 'whole muscle' form and my fat either attached to the meat or in coconut oil form.

Sketcha is offline Member
    When I started eating primal (8 weeks ago) I ate the Aidells chicken apple sausage a lot, and then after getting past the sugar/carb cravings I started cooking more things from scratch. I usually keep some in the fridge for those times when I don't want to cook but I'm not that into the taste of them anymore. I think you will find that you get sick of them after a while. Ingredient wise - they do seem to fit in well with the Primal Blueprint especially for something you can buy at wal-mart and has a long shelf life.

betty74 is offline Senior Member
    I love these sausage with eggs in the morning, but wouldn't want to eat ONLY these. Plus they are not cheap.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Would Grok let a corporation feed him? Or would he go out and get the raw ingredients and feed himself?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Just picked some up from WF's yesterday.