Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating primal with conventional meat page

Legerity is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I've been reading this site for quite a while but never actually tried putting things into practice. I've been plagued by all sorts of digestive troubles, low energy, aches and pains, and I want to do what I can to deal with these.

I'm very interested on cutting out the majority of carbs, I've always been curious but I was always scared of having a high fat intake. But lately I've been reading up a lot more on this and no longer really believe that fat is to be feared.

Anyways, my question is, am I better off eating less meat if I can't afford to get organic/grass-fed? The reality is that if I'm going to eat this way, I'm going to be eating bacon, meat, fish, butter from the grocery store. Grass-fed is accessible by ordering online but it just isn't affordable for me.

What do you all think. Is this worth trying if I will be using less clean sources of protein?

Thanks for the feedback,

Brian

chazglen is offline Junior Member

GREAT question... and I'd like to hear Mark's take on it. He probably has and it's in some archive somewhere... you might just try a simple search.

I am kind of in the same boat, money is a real issue but I talked to the health food store guy and he says almost ALL meat you get is grass-fed since NO rancher could afford to grain-feed their cattle. I guess the difference is if the farm is ORGANIC, meaning the fields the cows graze in are chemical free. I'm afraid there's a lot of blue smoke and mirrors in the food industry and who REALLY knows?

...and does it REALLY make a difference?

verdilak is offline Member

If you go for grocery store meats, get the leanest type that you can, since the majority of the harmful stuff gets trapped in the fat. Also, look for the lowest sodium meats as well. You would also be doing good to look for a butcher, deli, or meat market in your area that does not put additives in their meats to increase their weight like Wal-Mart does.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

AFAIK, if you go for lean meat you'll be okay, then add back in good fats eg avocado, organic butter, coconut oil.....

(By "good fat" I mean "junk-free")

stop_hammertime Guest

I think about the same thing all the time. I am using some organic meat (ground beef and bacon is all I can find in my town) but I cant afford the really good stuff for right now. I am still doing this because I really believe there will be a great health benefits, even if it is not ideal. I do plan on eventually buying higher quality meat when I can afford it.

I am interested to see what others say.

Athena is offline Senior Member

Im wondering about this too. I have access to good organic and grass fed beef, organic chicken, etc. But I'm a student and its getting a bit pricey for me and my hubby to eat this way. However, i figure Im saving a lot of money in the long run in being healthy (wont have to pay for medications, surgeries, etc in the future). I justify my grocery bill as an investment. But I would like to know if there is THAT big of difference...

lesliek is offline Member

I see "standard" meat as being a significantly different product than the 100% grass-fed/humanely raised stuff you buy at co-ops and from farmers.

@chazglen: I'm really surprised by what you were told. My understanding is that a good majority of cattle are started on grass, but then switched to corn/grain in the last month or so before butchering. This basically ruins the Omega-3/Omega-6 balance and is what makes non-organic meat cheap and unhealthy. That's why you have to find "100% grass-fed" or "grass-finished" beef. See Mark's explanation here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/concentrated-animal-feeding-operations.

There's also the whole hormone and antibiotics issue as well, not to mention how sad these animal's lives are. If CAFO meat is the only step you can see yourself taking into Primal, I would proceed, but hope you'll change your mind down the road. Eating the primal way has caused me to have a much deeper appreciation of the animals, land, and farmers that produce food in the most healthful and sustainable ways. I think if you did some further research into the issue you'd come to the same conclusion too.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Don't forget fish!

I go to WalMart and buy a large, 1 lb. wild-caught salmon fillet, certified sustainably fished, for $7. (I found the same item at a regional supermarket here for $17)

PWG

Acmebike is offline Member

And wild caught herring/anchovies and sardines are just shy of $2 a can. Cans/BPA issue aside.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I'm not really sure what to believe about the whole hormones/antibiotics/pesticides thing. Right now I am a little hesitstant to dive in head first with the conventional animal products thing. My eggs are organic and so I my whey and I get a lot of fats from coconut oil/shredded coconut and olive oil, flax, chia, pumpkin seeds, avocados, but these aren't really nutritious fats like meat. I eat a lot of sardines and salmon and take chlorella to counteract the small amounts of mercury. Then I eat a fair amount of chicken and beef, about 400 calories a day from either one of those. As far as the antibiotics are concerned, I'm not overly concerned about those. The issue is that you can possibly acquire bacteria that are antibiotic resistant, so I take probiotics; I would take probiotics anyway. I'm not really concerned about the pesticides, as chlorella really is a fantastic way to counteract that sort of thing. I generally treat my liver very well and use milk thistle, dandelion and burdock intermittently.

Our bodies are generally very resilient and very good at eliminating harmful things so long as we provide them adequate nutrition and support, but I still worry a bit about this sort of stuff. I suppose I could add a little more organic meat.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast