Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sinusitis / Prostatitis - Food Allergies? page

Bossman is offline Junior Member

Sinusitis / Prostatitis - Food Allergies?

I have had both chronic sinusitis and prostatitis (basically, pain in the pelvic region) for the past 15 years and am wondering if food allergies could be the cause. I think both items are related somehow; it's something I just feel (when one is bad, so is the other). I have seen multiple doctors on both (more so on sinuses, the urologists generally have no advice). For the sinusitis, I have had years of allergy shots for dust mites (only thing I was allergic to in skin testing), multiple surgeries, and tried every drug imaginable. Nothing has helped even the slightest amount - my sinus tissue is still very inflamed due to "allergies" per my allergy doctor. He said food allergies wouldn't cause this reaction, but didn't have much advice otherwise.

Anyone have similar experience, either with sinusitis, prostatitis, or both and found it to be a food allergy? If so, any advice? Should I eliminate certain foods? I have been off of gluten for the past 6 weeks and have not seen any difference. Next up on the avoid list is dairy per advice on the boards.

Thanks - I have seen a lot of info on the boards out there, but am hoping I maybe catch an individual that has had success in treating both problems.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Sinusitus can definitely be impacted by food sensitivities or intollerance, doesnt even have to be full blown allergy. If I eat corn derivatives or dairy, I have almost instant congestion. And I have found its cummulative. The more you have the worse it is and less easy to isolate the cause

crackedpot is offline Member
    I have dealt with sinusitis for many years; I had surgery for a deviated septum, the doctor said it would help but may not elevate the entire problem. He was spot on, it did help with the constant infections but didn’t take care of the sinus pressure. I have found that if I can lay off the sugar & dairy I have less pressure and drip -

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    My doctor told me that my congestion & post nasal drip COULD be caused by food allergies or sensitivities. I think it's worth trying a modified Whole30 (see link in my signature or go here) to rule out any potential foods. Look into "low histamine" diets to find common culprits for food sensitivities and make a priority list for what you want to start with. For example, I am soon going to try adding back eggs, by eating a lot for two days, and then waiting two days to see how I feel. Then I'll do tomatoes, chocolate (90% or higher), citrus, and vinegar, in that order.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Thanks for the help! I have had a deviated septum surgery and then a couple surgeries to reduce the size of my turbinates. Those helped me with infections, but not overall congestion. I still can't breathe through my nose at all really and sound nasally, but at least its draining.

I have not heard of an anti-histamine diet. I looked into it, it seems very restrictive (no chicken or beef?). I am going to copy you namelesswonder and kick out tomato, citrus, vinegar, and eggs. Those should be pretty easy given my diet. I'll let you know how it turns out. I've always noticed that tomatoes irritate my stomach but didn't think they could be causing sinus swelling.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I was just turned on to the idea of "histamine intolerance", there's a lot of information if you Google it. Apparently you can take supplements to help manage the side effects. I'm going to do some more research, but I might give it a try, as it can also help with seasonal allergies!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Thanks - I was actually prescribed quercetin by my urologist - turns out it is a natural antihistamine.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    Did your doctor prescribe Cipro for your Prostatitis (in case it's bacterial)? If so, and it didn't help, then it's probably just chronic inflammation, so you might want to concentrate on eliminating things from your diet that are known to be inflammatory, as well as continuing to try to find things that you have an individual sensitivity to that might be causing inflammation.

No, they did various tests and it came up non-bacterial. I do believe it is inflammation - just got to figure out what is causing it. Cutting out gluten was my first big step, I'm going to keep at it for at least a couple more months (been 6 weeks) and then expand. Cutting out dairy now, next up is probably nightshades.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've read that non-bacterial prostatitis can be caused by insufficient iodine in the diet. You may want to do a little reading to see if it is something you would try.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast