Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keep Your Sugar Out of My Fish! page

unashamed80 is offline Junior Member

Keep Your Sugar Out of My Fish!

Shop Now
    So I purchased some smoked salmon the other day from a place that I commonly frequent, and have purchased salmon from before. A couple days after being home and eating about half of the pack, I noticed the ingredients have "sugar" included in them! I'm like "sugar", really in my smoked salmon!? Give me a break people! I don't want candied salmon, I actually happen to eat fish because I like the taste of it. What's sad is I'm pretty sure that it wasn't in this particular brand before. Leads me to believe that they have changed processing plants or something and now add sugar to it!

Read your ingredients carefully folks! Even recheck the ones you have checked previously!
    Sweat is Just Fat......crying!

1 Tim 4:8 (Amp) For physical training is of some value (useful for a little), but godliness (spiritual training) is useful and of value in everything and in every way, for it holds promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come.

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Is it that wet smoked stuff people usually eat on bagels? That's pretty junky food - its like lunch meat of the fish world. It does usually have some sugar in it, from what I recall.

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member

wierd

reminder that we really have to look at labels.

englishrose is offline Junior Member
    I got chicken from the shop the other day. just rotisserie chicken. and the ingredients list included brown sugar.

mental.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is often(almost always) used because there is so much salt in prepared meats.
    Just like salt, expect there to be sugar in anything you didn't cook yourself.

unashamed80 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Is it that wet smoked stuff people usually eat on bagels? That's pretty junky food - its like lunch meat of the fish world. It does usually have some sugar in it, from what I recall.
    No, this is the premium stuff that they claim goes from the sea to the smoker to you. Natural, organic, blah, blah, blah. I mean, I pictured someone wrestling a bald eagle or grizzly bear for the thing!!!!!LOL

All joking aside, this is supposed to be the good stuff. I know what you're referencing though.....SPAM Salmon!
    Sweat is Just Fat......crying!

1 Tim 4:8 (Amp) For physical training is of some value (useful for a little), but godliness (spiritual training) is useful and of value in everything and in every way, for it holds promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come.

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I bought a jar of pickled herring and didn't read the ingredients until I got home. I knew there was herring, onions, water, vinegar, and spices. Ingredients are always listed in order of volume, from the most to the least. The second ingredient was "high fructose corn syrup". There's more HFCS in that jar than onions. Onions was listed as third in the order.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    It may be like 1g of sugar or something. Check the label for the amounts as well as just the ingredients. If it's only a couple grams per serving it's negligible.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Most dry-rubs have at least a little bit of sugar in them because it helps you get a nice carmelization sear on the meat, so perhaps they used something like that on the fish. Remember that things are listed in order from most concentrated to least concentrated. If there's some, like, dry rub or sauce that I really want to try and it has sugar or honey toward the end of the list, I still give it a shot (but only real sugar or honey; i avoid HFCs like the plague).
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is often used in the brine prior to smoking fish. We do all of our own and use a dry brine that includes salt, brown sugar and various spices. The fish is in the brine for about 24 hours before going in the smoker, but I doubt you actually get much sugar in the finished product.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast