Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any wheatless bread recipes? page

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.

Any wheatless bread recipes?

Primal Fuel
    I have been on a quest to find myself a wheat and grain free substitute for bread.I am down to a couple of slices of gluten free bread a day, and was wondering what substitutes may be out there.

Has anyone tried millet flour bread, or spelt?

What are the problems with those or the benefits?

I looked at coconut and almond flour, but did not like the price here locally.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Even if they are gluten free, they are still breads. One is better off getting out of habit of eating bread, rather than inventing costly 'substitutes'. Your lifestyle is now changed. Just try to accept it. It's probably better to ferment and boil some whole grains if you feel like consuming grain. But iwas better off when I stopped doing it. Inflammation, anti-nutrients, satiation... grain seem to trifle with all of it.

That's said, a good substitute for wheat flour is:

3 cups of Rice flour, 1 cup of potato (not corn) starch, 1/2 cup of tapioca starch + 1/2 tsp of Xantham Gum. Then you can make a quick bread or bread from it.

You can also search for Choco's fermented corn bread, it is very good.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You can grind your own almonds to make the flour - much cheaper. Just run them through the food processor a few minutes. Primal breads should be considered a treat and not a staple. They were a life saver for me on the beginning as I was switching over the family as they really missed this staple. Now, the bread usually goes bad before we finish it. You and your tastes will change over time and these foods will be missed less and less.

Spelt is still a grain with lectins, phytates and the rest. Maybe better than wheat, but you probably need to avoid all grains to get the results you seek.

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Two options:

1. Stop eating it and don't try to substitute.

2. Eat it with way far less frequency than before. Like once a year, maybe. And make sure it's really, really good, like Sullivan Street or make it yourself.
    Read. The. Book.

ljbprrfmof is offline Senior Member
    The SunKissed Southern Shore of Lake Erie in PA.
    Thank you. I have cut it way back. Now I just have a piece of toast in the morning with my eggs.I wanted to find a replacement for that and I am already eating a gluten-free brad for this and was wondering what I could find that was a reasonable substitute.

I will give the rice flour a try. As I recall, it was cheaper than the coconut flour.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Also, spelt still has gluten.

Seriously, just stop eating bread. If you want to have it now and then as a 20% thing, then whatever, I do that now and then too, but not as a daily thing. There are lots of other things you can eat with your eggs.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    If wheat-free is your only requirement, there are millions of gluten-free alternatives on the web. Just Google "gluten-free bread" and you will be inundated with millions of recipes.

Wheat is not the only grain with gluten. Spelt and barely also contain gluten. I may have missed one.

The ultimate goal of the PB is to not eat bread. I don't care what kind of workarounds you do. The fake pastas, fake breads and fake pizzas are Primal's equivalent to fake meat for a vegetarian/v*gan. If you seriously give it up for awhile, it goes away altogether. I don't even want pasta when I see it. It's just natural.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    You can grind your own almonds to make the flour
    Poisonous. Absolutely poisonous. Nothing like a big slice of ground-up, heated, highly oxidized omega 6. I'd rather eat fermented wheat bread than almond bread, or even worse, flax bread. They have actual industrial names for such creations. What is it called? Oh yea, varnish.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ljbprrfmof View Post
    Now I just have a piece of toast in the morning with my eggs.I wanted to find a replacement for that .
    Here's a good replacement: BACON!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you are losing weight as most are, I'd highly recommend just dropping it and not looking for a sub. A couple of eggs is a filling, nutritious, and low calorie way to start the day. Almond flour and whatnot is not a great road to go down.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast