Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Pretty Miserable Existance. page

PrimalStewart is offline Banned

A Pretty Miserable Existance.

Shop Now
    Despite everything it's cracked up to be, I feel that life today, especially in America, or rather - quality of life (for everybody) has just gotten worse and worse. I mean its just getting worse and worse. Coming from a primal standpoint - as I've come to start applying this method of thinking to nearly all areas of life - especially if you live in big cities...everyday you are forced to be in close proximities of people you have no idea who they are. Your customs and exchanges are different...its just, awkward. And we all are taught that this is normal, and not to have any negative reaction to this....for some unconscious fear of being labeled intolerant, or racist, or whatever.

I know this is probably the most politically incorrect post on this site, but I figured this crowd; the primal crowd was okay with dealing with reality. The truth is, political correctness has done us in. Humans, as I see it - were meant to be social creatures. We banded together in small but tight knit social groups and communities for support; in short, happiness. When you move to a big city, you are by yourself, forced to interact with many different people all coming from different places. The social cohesion is lost. I honestly believe it is just a big MESS. People struggle, and I believe it is why a great portion of people are lonely, and isolated, especially inside cities. I know I, for one, feel this acutely. And everybody suffers. It doesn't matter who you are. I don't think city living, or modern living, for that matter - is all its cracked up to be, at ALL. Infact I'd say its pretty worse than it was even 60 years ago. People have lost their community, and with this horrible and simplistic idea that we are all supposed to adapt flawlessly into and revel in, multiculturalism, comes with a whole list of problems that politicians or sociologists seem to have failed to anticipate in their naive - lets throw all these people together and it will be this wonderful joyous utopia, where everyone will get along. It isn't true. It's flat out untrue, actually. There is more crime here in America, than anywhere I can think of. And yeah, there is racial tension. Lots of it. There is alot of tension that occurs and awkwardness when you try to pretend that these issues don't exist, because you don't want them to (an idealist approach) that flies in the face of reality.

I don't know what I'm suggesting, because - honestly, I wouldn't know what TO suggest. I can just talk about what I observe. But I have no solution. I go to college in a city on the east coast, and have struggled to sort of find a 'band' of folks i can fit in with, or feel some sense of community...it has been very difficult, and i don't feel I've been able to do it yet. That's really all i want, is some kind of band to fit in with, and I'd be happy. Some sense of common community.
    In a sea of millions of people, so many of us are isolated.

What are your thoughts?

banananutmuffin is online now Senior Member
    This is why I live in the country/rural America. Small towns is where it's at. I know my neighbors, they know me. I go to the mall and see 5 people I went to high school with (I'm 37). If I need to move something heavy, my neighbor offers to bring over his tractor and help me.

Maybe I'm a hick. (Admittedly, I'm the only Asian redneck around here. Actually, I am the only Asian at all in my very white town with a population of 200... not including the cows and chickens. lol) But I find it easiest to build a sense of community and belonging in an environment that isn't full of crime, pollution, and mistrust.

It's a lot easier to know your neighbor when you know they'll WATCH your house while you're on vacation instead of ROBBING it.
    Female, 40 yrs old, 5', 120 lbs (post-pregnancy)
    Went Primal January 2, 2012!

Paleo Cooking for Cavekids cookbook

GoLisaGo is offline Senior Member
    That's really all i want, is some kind of band to fit in with, and I'd be happy. Some sense of common community.
    That is a basic human need, so it's good that you're feeling it. Except, I would suggest happiness placed without the condition. Happiness isn't necessarily a place you "get" to, so BE happy.

Forums like these are a new way of of expressing that need to connect. So, it's also good that you are here. To me, family is my first and most reinforced band. Followed by friends and neighbors, and others with common interests where we've created the band.

In summary, my thoughts:
    Be Happy
    Reinforce connections
    Create

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    You're in college, away from your old friends and haven't made any new friends. I know it sucks, but it isn't because of PC ness and it certainly isn't because of multiculturalism. I'm white and live in a predominantly black, inner-city neighborhood and my neighbors are friendlier than any I've had in recent memory. Everyone knows everyone else by name, we smile, say hello, chat over the fence, invite each other into our homes, look out for each other, etc.

It's difficult to meet people when everyone's in a new environment, stressed, worried about their own problems. If you want friends join a club or volunteer. Being nice and smiling works with people of all cultures.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    "E Pluribus Unum: Diversity and Community in the 21st Century" [PDF]is the title of Putnam's five-year study, which makes hash out of the politically correct cliché, "Our diversity is our strength."

After 30,000 interviews, Putnam concludes and reports, against his own progressive convictions, that ethnic and racial diversity can be devastating to communities and destructive of community values.

The greater the diversity the greater the distrust, says Putnam. In racially and ethnically mixed communities, not only do people not trust strangers, they do not even trust their own kind. They withdraw into themselves, they support community activity less, they vote less.

"People living in ethnically diverse settings appear to 'hunker down,' that is, to pull in like a turtle," writes Putnam.

They tend to "withdraw even from close friends, to expect the worst from their community and its leaders, to volunteer less, give less to charity and work on community projects less often, to register to vote less, to agitate for social reform more but have less faith they can actually make a difference, and to huddle unhappily in front of the television."

Writes columnist John Leo, "Putnam adds a crushing footnote: His findings 'may underestimate the real effect of diversity on social withdrawal.'"
    Robert Putnam: Diversity Is Our Destruction | VDARE.com

Diversity and division share the same root word for a reason.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Just curious as to how old you are? I'm not judging the content of your post, but I think at a certain age people seek community more strongly than at other ages, and wanted to see if my hunch was correct.

EDIT: Somehow missed the part where you mentioned going to college, so I will assume you are late teens, early 20s. This fits my hypothesis of a particular age when people seek community. When you're first on your own, and making your way through the complexities of the world, it only makes sense that you're looking for your tribe, so to speak. Most people go through this. And they find their tribe. People I got to know in my 20s remain solid friends now decades later. To that end, you need to forge your own tribe. There's no blueprint for that, except that you gravitate towards people who have similar interests.
    Last edited by Finnegans Wake; 01-18-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: See above.

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    I believe we all have to build our own "Tribe". You know, grow another family of like minded people.

I found my tribe doing things that I love. My advice is to join a gym or a sport team, volunteer or do some service and just get involved in what is happening around you. You will make meaningful connections pretty quickly.

You most likely know this but, because I am a mother of an autistic child, I'll just say it... Look people in the eye and smile. That lets them know you are open to making a connection.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStewart View Post
    Despite everything it's cracked up to be, I feel that life today, especially in America, or rather - quality of life (for everybody) has just gotten worse and worse. I mean its just getting worse and worse. Coming from a primal standpoint - as I've come to start applying this method of thinking to nearly all areas of life - especially if you live in big cities...everyday you are forced to be in close proximities of people you have no idea who they are. Your customs and exchanges are different...its just, awkward. And we all are taught that this is normal, and not to have any negative reaction to this....for some unconscious fear of being labeled intolerant, or racist, or whatever.

I know this is probably the most politically incorrect post on this site, but I figured this crowd; the primal crowd was okay with dealing with reality. The truth is, political correctness has done us in. Humans, as I see it - were meant to be social creatures. We banded together in small but tight knit social groups and communities for support; in short, happiness. When you move to a big city, you are by yourself, forced to interact with many different people all coming from different places. The social cohesion is lost. I honestly believe it is just a big MESS. People struggle, and I believe it is why a great portion of people are lonely, and isolated, especially inside cities. I know I, for one, feel this acutely. And everybody suffers. It doesn't matter who you are. I don't think city living, or modern living, for that matter - is all its cracked up to be, at ALL. Infact I'd say its pretty worse than it was even 60 years ago. People have lost their community, and with this horrible and simplistic idea that we are all supposed to adapt flawlessly into and revel in, multiculturalism, comes with a whole list of problems that politicians or sociologists seem to have failed to anticipate in their naive - lets throw all these people together and it will be this wonderful joyous utopia, where everyone will get along. It isn't true. It's flat out untrue, actually. There is more crime here in America, than anywhere I can think of. And yeah, there is racial tension. Lots of it. There is alot of tension that occurs and awkwardness when you try to pretend that these issues don't exist, because you don't want them to (an idealist approach) that flies in the face of reality.

I don't know what I'm suggesting, because - honestly, I wouldn't know what TO suggest. I can just talk about what I observe. But I have no solution. I go to college in a city on the east coast, and have struggled to sort of find a 'band' of folks i can fit in with, or feel some sense of community...it has been very difficult, and i don't feel I've been able to do it yet. That's really all i want, is some kind of band to fit in with, and I'd be happy. Some sense of common community.
    In a sea of millions of people, so many of us are isolated.

What are your thoughts?
    bs romanticism of the past
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    Robert Putnam: Diversity Is Our Destruction | VDARE.com

Diversity and division share the same root word for a reason.
    So fifty years ago our diversity was a strength. At what point did it become a liability? Or is that just smokescreen? I suspect it is, and it comes from a place of fear rather than a place of exceptionalism.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    So fifty years ago our diversity was a strength. At what point did it become a liability? Or is that just smokescreen? I suspect it is, and it comes from a place of fear rather than a place of exceptionalism.
    It was never our strength, don't know why you would think that. Most people ignore the private and public run Americanization programs that existed prior to WW1 and continued running in various forms into the 60s. Also it wasn't that diverse, 1/4 of the US population was German at any given time up until 1990.
    Last edited by kenn; 01-18-2012 at 08:03 AM.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast