Thread: Anyone in Frankfurt? page

billp is offline Senior Member

Anyone in Frankfurt?

Primal Fuel
    Would be good to meet up with other primally minded carnivores in the Frankfurt/Rhine-Main area. It's a big international city, so there must be some.

NicoleP is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about other people, but I am going to Germany to visit my friend again. At the time I wanted to try everything so I wasn't exactly eating primal the whole visit, but it didn't seem like it would be too hard. The salads in Germany are awesome and I really miss those a lot. I don't think Germans put as much crap in their food like we do here in the US as everything seems to have corn, soy or HFCS.

I thought I did see something a while back on this board about there being a primal/paleo website or facebook page for Germans. Maybe someone else will remember. You might want to edit your title to say Frankfurt, Germany because many will think you are talking about a place in the US.

I don't think my German is good enough to handle that. I've nothing against it, but being in an English speaking environment is more fun.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleP View Post
    I don't think Germans put as much crap in their food like we do here in the US as everything seems to have corn, soy or HFCS.
    Sad but true: almost everything here contains HFCS ("Glucosesirup"), soy, corn, and / or glutamate (often hidden, like in yeast extract, and then they put "without flavour enhancer" on the label). I work at different supermarkets, and I study a lot of labels of products that seem to be interesting for a primal eater. Even bacon and other meat products contain at least sugars.

@billp I am living near Bielefeld. I don't know anyone who lives a primal / paleo lifestyle. Quite frustrating sometimes...!

Quote Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
    Sad but true: almost everything here contains HFCS ("Glucosesirup"), soy, corn, and / or glutamate (often hidden, like in yeast extract, and then they put "without flavour enhancer" on the label). I work at different supermarkets, and I study a lot of labels of products that seem to be interesting for a primal eater. Even bacon and other meat products contain at least sugars.

@billp I am living near Bielefeld. I don't know anyone who lives a primal / paleo lifestyle. Quite frustrating sometimes...!
    Half-way to the coast. Far enough. I do find the butchers are very good here. I can buy fresh lard, rendered or unrendered, smoked or not, and excellent smoked bacon with plenty of fat that I don't think has any sugar in it. I think I am getting to be a popular customer at the butchers. They say they will do me beef schmaltz next time they kill a cow!

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    That sounds great! At a real butcher's shop you can get clean bacon and sausages. We do have a butcher which is excellent, good meat, bacon, sausages, but it's about 40 km away from where we live. We don't go there very often. My partner isn't primal, and he doesn't (want to?) understand why there should be a difference between CAFO, organic and grass-fed meat and eggs. As he brings in most of the money, and he does the shopping, most of the time we get meat from the supermarket.

Kai-man is offline Junior Member
    Hi billp, I am in Dieburg, near Frankfurt. I have just started to find primal food sources in the area and it is not easy.
    I was just looking for other German members here to start exchanging information.
    I would be happy to cooperate.