Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tom Naughton - Fat Head page

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member

Tom Naughton - Fat Head

Shop Now
    Absolutely worth the watch!

Just finished watching and if you can get it, do!
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    It does a good job of debunking the anti-fat hysteria. But then it replaces it with anti-carb hysteria.

I wish he would at least leave potatoes alone. What did potatoes ever do to him?
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

badly_dubbed is offline Senior Member
    i didnt think anti carb, he wasnt ketogenic low anyway
    "Today’s technological age is enjoyed by the fattest, laziest humans in the history of humanity." -Mark Sisson

Satch12879 is offline Member
    Paraphrasing:

"Something about his calorie counts didn't make sense. I asked Morgan Spurlock for his diet journals. No response. I asked his management agency for them. No response."

Gold. This small bit at the outset of the flick sold it for me.
    Read. The. Book.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i did not care for the mcdonald's advocacy.

it was like a strange mix of advocating the SAD, portion control, and low carb eating. all at once.

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member
    I was irked by the fact that he never reported his sodium counts. They had to be sky-high.

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    That movie lead me to the primal blueprint when he talks about humans not being designed to eat grain.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    I enjoy this movie a lot. I've recommended this movie to many adults in my life who are too cynical or unfocused to actually sit down and read the primal/paleo literature I send them (my dad, my boss, etc). Its been a wonderful resource to open people's eyes and get them interested, but it is by no means the be-all and end-all of the food movement. And Tom doesn't claim that it is, either. His website (Fat Head - Blog site for the comedy-documentary Fat Head) links to and cites other sources all the time, I enjoy it greatly.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Catharsis is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure his point in making the documentary is that it's irresponsible to blame fast food for your problems. The underlying theme of the movie really is about a lack of personal responsibility/accountability not only in what most American's eat, but why they're eating it in addition to the downsides of just believing everything you're told instead of researching it for yourself. Even at the end he reiterates that a fast food diet isn't a healthy diet and mentioned that after completing the documentary, he was sick of fast food and proceeded to drop his carbohydrate intake very low and spent 30 days eating mostly meat, coconut oil, vegetables and cheese and lost even more weight.

Bear in mind that Fat Head is anti-Super Size Me more than it is pro-Fast Food Consumption. For most people that eat a SAD, eating "Fat Head" is an improvement for them because in the end, what they're really doing is eliminating a noticeable portion of crap from their diets like french fries (vegetable oils), coke and sweets. If 100 overweight people ditched those things for 90 days, I bet 70 of them would make further adjustments towards a "healthy" diet.

I think it's a great documentary, at least with what I walked away from it with which was to think for yourself and not believe everything you're told and/or read. I've known about Atkins/Protein Power/Etc for a decade, and had even heard a little about paleo (mostly incorrect information that it is low carb/lowfat/high protein) but ultimately, it's reading the books and information surrounding Fat Head that actually led me to jumping into Paleo.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    There is a LOT that I dislike about the movie, but I have to give credit where credit is due.

After watching it, I was intrigued enough to order copies of Good Calories/Bad Calories and Protein Power Lifeplan to see if what he said had any validity.

Those books led me to read further, where I came across Robb Wolf, Art Devaney and of course Mark Sisson.

I was on a research quest anyway to get to the route of my screwy lipids, so I may have ended up here anyway, but Tom gets a nod for pointing me in the right direction.

I've also seen a lot of other posts where people credit him with opening the door for them.

I don't recommend the video to many people unless they have the ability to take the good and throw out the bad (which seems to be a lacking scholastic ability in most people), but I was able to share it with my brother.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast